Taqwa is a core Quranic value. It is universal – like the Quran itself, everyone can benefit from it. It is one of the guiding principles of the life of a believer. Tapping into your inner taqwa can be one of the most empowering and liberating things you have ever done for yourself. First, let’s define it. Then we’ll look at some excellent ways of building it within yourself insha’Allah. In that sense, taqwa is consciousness. Allah says:
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ لَهُمْ جَنَّاتٌ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ الْفَوْزُ الْكَبِيرُ
“Verily, those who had faith and had done righteous deeds will have gardens beneath which rivers flow. That is a great achievement.” (Surah Al-Buruj 85:11)
Taqwa is usually understood as piety or righteousness. When we understand the word in a deeper context, taqwa simply means to take protection. It is a shield that protects us from all evils. Quran holds secrets to those who are willing to spend time with it. It can cleanse your heart from jealousy, malice, hatred, ill feelings and envy if you choose to look at it as a source of soul cleanser. It will help your heart and mind heal, even when you feel the world beneath your feet is cracking in pieces. Allah says:
ذَٰلِكَ الْكِتَابُ لَا رَيْبَ فِيهِ هُدًى لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ
“That is the Book about which there is no doubt, guidance for those conscious of Allah (people of taqwa)…” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:2)
Taqwa is a quality whose virtues are astounding. It will help you rise from the ashes even after you’ve hit rock bottom. It will provide comfort and peace which no person or materialistic thing can ever provide, but only if you choose to open it, read it and ponder on what Allah has to say to you. It can be the greatest source of guidance to help you wade through Dunya and akhira.
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَقُولُوا قَوْلًا سَدِيدًا
“O you who believe! Consciously revere Allah and speak a word right.” (Surah Al-Ahzab 33:70)
The more you are conscious and aware, the closer you get to Allah. Taqwa is ‘conscious power’. The conscious use of your God-given strength. Fear is based on a clear knowledge of His attributes of Justice and Perfection. Salah keeps you away from sins, protects you from Shaitan, and helps your taqwa levels skyrocket.
Here are some practical steps to attain taqwa and become of those whom Allah SWT loves:
- Taqwa activate derive the pleasure of Allah
- Taqwa practising towards worship of Allah
- Taqwa to distinguish truth from falsehood
- Taqwa renew the fountains of your iman
- Taqwa never consider yourself higher
- Taqwa is the long for Allah’s pleasure
- Taqwa alert to the carnal pleasures
- Taqwa is satisfaction in all affairs
- Taqwa ascribe all material
- Taqwa is steadfast in Salah
- Taqwa is the soul of fasting
- Taqwa is better than anyone else
- Taqwa is the result of all worship
- Renew the fountains of your Iman
- Reminding yourself of Allah`s Presence
- Ability to distinguish truth from falsehood
- Taqwa means a lot more than just piousness
- Taqwa follow up a bad deed with a good one
- Taqwa may lead to the realm of the forbidden
- Taqwa alert to whatever may divert you from Allah
The importance of fearing God more than anything and anyone is deeply stressed on various occasions in the Quran. The true believer fears God most and for this reason, would never submit to evil out of fear of a certain person or situation as he is aware that the most just God is a witness to his every action. He fears to lose even the smallest jot of God’s mercy and good pleasure.
The five levels of taqwa
- Be cautious of falling into disbelief. This is the station of submission to Allah
- Be cautious of falling into sin and evil. This is the station of repentance
- Be cautious of doubtful things. This is the station of carefulness
- Being cautious of the permissible. This is the station of indifference
- Be cautious of letting anything enter the heart save Allah. This is the station of witness
Taqwa is a quality that originates from the heart. It is spiritual and may very well expose itself in a pious person through his good actions and manners but it is derived from one’s mind, heart, and soul. Taqwa is the fear of God. It is the fear of earning His displeasure and being deprived of His all abounding mercy. It is like a shield that keeps one cautiously on guard against all evils.
Recommendations to Increase in Taqwa:
- Ascribe all material and spiritual accomplishments to Allah
- Long for Allah’s pleasure and satisfaction in all affairs
- Be alert to whatever may divert you from Allah
- Make continuous Dua’a to Allaah
- Incorporate sunnah into your life
- Be alert to the carnal pleasures
- A healthy mind filter your thoughts
- Stay away from major and minor sins
- Taqwa leads to the realm of the forbidden
- Remember death, and live with the conscious knowledge
- Never consider yourself as higher and better than anyone else
- Be alert to the carnal pleasures that may lead to the realm of the forbidden
- Renew the fountains of your Iman by studying and reflecting on Allah’s creation
- Remember death, and live with the conscious knowledge that it may happen at any time
The quickest way to attain taqwa
Before you do or say something, ask yourself, will Allah be pleased with me for this, or is this something that He disapproves of. Keep your thoughts, deeds, and actions in check, and you have a greater chance of being of those with taqwa.
Allah Almighty says in The Holy Quran:
- “Surely Allah loves Muttaqin.” (Quran, 3:76)
- “Those who believe and do good deeds.” (Yunus 10:9)
- “Therefore fear not men but fear Me.” (Al-Maidah 5:44)
- “guide for those who are aware of Allah.” (Quran, 2: 2)
- “Have taqwa of Allah for you to succeed.” (Quran, 3: 200)
- “Then We will save those who have had taqwa.” (Quran, 19:72)
- “And whoever fears Allah, He will make an end.” (Quran, 65: 2)
- “Only the learned among His servants fear and revere Allah.” (Fatir 35:28)
- “The noblest, most honourable of you in the sight of Allah is the most advanced of you in Taqwa.” (Al-Hujurat 49:13)
- “Fear Allah and be devoted to Him as He should be feared and devoted to.” (Al-Imran 3:101)
Steps To Increase Your Taqwa And Spirituality:
- Make a sincere intention to improve your taqwa: Taqwa enhances your life. Building your level of conscious power is the most empowering thing you can do.
- Ask Allah to increase your taqwa: Taqwa means building up your ability to take control of your life. When you have a high level of conscious power, you can do anything.
- To increase your worship. : We simply need to think up a goal, commit to it, and make it happen. No wimping out of fear, no giving in to laziness – those factors won’t affect you when you up enough taqwa.
- Observe the sunnah whenever possible: Allah: Think of taqwa like a muscle. To grow a muscle, you need to exercise it.
- Hold yourself accountable: Maintain a diary for this. Write down the significant deeds you did today.
- Dhikr – Angels will surround you: All you have to do is sit with an attentive heart and indulge in dhikr. In turn, you obtain Allah’s forgiveness and blessings in the presence of the angels themselves.
- Quran Reading: Nothing can beat the power of the Quran. The words of Allah have power and barakah which need to be experienced because no amount of words can do justice to what the Quran can do. Understand what you are reciting by using an authentic translation of the Quran.
- Isthigfar: No amount of repentance is too less. Let the tears of regret flow, open your prayer mat in the depths of night, and repent for every time you erred and start afresh the next day.
- Salah: Prayer is your shield against hell-fire, your unique ticket into paradise and your connection with Allah, which no one can interfere with. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَكُونُوا مَعَ الصَّادِقِينَ
“O you who believe! Consciously revere Allah and be with those who are truthful.” (Surah At-Taubah 9:119)
Taqwa is the greatest and the best investment, which a true believer can make. Its benefits and advantages not only cover him but also his family members. Taqwa inhabits the heart and it is only within the capability of Allah to know what the hearts conceal. Taqwa is a quality whose virtues are astounding. Taqwa acts as a barrier between Muslims and the anger and discontent of Allah (SWT). We must fear Allah and have taqwa, as we are created for it. May Allah help us to attain Taqwa.