Everything that Allah prescribes has wisdom behind it. Performing Ablution has been scientifically proven to have many physical benefits. Purity is the power with which the mysteries are revealed upon you. The purification of the body strengthens your soul which ultimately brings you close to Allah. This is the reason why Islam emphasizes purity, as it is the basic part of faith in Islam. Every Muslim performs ablution (wudhu), before offering prayers. It is a simple, certain and obligatory pattern of washing one’s body parts with which they start their prayers. Allah says:
لَا تَقُمْ فِيهِ أَبَدًا لَّمَسْجِدٌ أُسِّسَ عَلَى التَّقْوَىٰ مِنْ أَوَّلِ يَوْمٍ أَحَقُّ أَن تَقُومَ فِيهِ فِيهِ رِجَالٌ يُحِبُّونَ أَن يَتَطَهَّرُوا وَاللَّهُ يُحِبُّ الْمُطَّهِّرِينَ
“(Do) not stand in it ever. A masjid founded on the righteousness from (the) first day (is) more worthy that you stand in it. Within it, (are) men who love to purify themselves, and Allah loves the ones who purify themselves.” (Surah At-Taubah 9:108)
Ablution (Wudu) is Arabic which means the specific action of washing certain body parts. In these body parts hands, mouth, face, arms, nostrils, arms, and feet are included. In religion Islam, wudu has great importance. Muslims are required to perform wudu before offering the prayer five times a day. We want to make sure that we are in a physical sense, as well as a spiritual sense, “purified” before we face Allah. Prayer is not acceptable if you do not perform wudu. Allah says:
وَإِذْ قَالَتِ الْمَلَائِكَةُ يَا مَرْيَمُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ اصْطَفَاكِ وَطَهَّرَكِ وَاصْطَفَاكِ عَلَىٰ نِسَاءِ الْعَالَمِينَ
And when said the Angels, “O Maryam! Indeed, Allah (has) chosen you and purified you and chosen you over (the) women (of) the worlds.” (Surah Ali ‘Imran 3:42)
Islam pays great attention to both external purification and internal purification. Internal purification simply means to purify the heart from negative attributes such as stinginess, envy, hatred, and hypocrisy. A Muslim must be ritually clean in order to offer the five daily prayers. Without purification, the prayer is invalid as the Almighty Allah obligates and makes it a condition for prayer:
What is meant by ablution (wudu’)in Islam?
An ablution is an act of washing specific parts of the body using water. Muslims are required to perform ablution before offering the ritual prayer.
Here are the medical benefits of ablution, the scientists came to know after years of research:
- Ablution prevents the transmission of many contagious diseases
- Ablution strengthens us spiritually by giving inner peace
- Ablution is a defence against diseases like pneumonia
- Ablution protect our skin from several skin diseases
- Ablution stimulates biological rhythms of the body
- Ablution prevents germs and dust trapped inside
- Ablution eliminates all our bad deeds and sins
- Ablution purifies our body from head to foot
- Ablution protects the outer layer of the skin
- Ablution removes the mouth bad smells
- Ablution is microbic disease protection
- Ablution remain in the state of purity
- Ablution activates blood circulation
- Ablution is a systematic disease
- Ablution is a part of our faith
- Ablution controls blood pressure
- Ablution helps prevent skin cancer
- Ablutionreduces respiratory infections
- Ablution is a body refreshment practice
- Ablution is a hydro based reflex therapy
- Ablution refreshes our body from dirt and dust
- Ablution maintain our blood circulatory system
- Ablution prevents us from many physical health issues
- Ablution helps invigorate the ends of the blood vessels
- Ablution maintains the beauty and freshness of the face
- Ablution recharges such organs as the intestines stomach
- Ablution strengthens skin and relieves feelings of heaviness
- Ablution removes the food remnants which cause teeth problems
- Ablution gives physical purity, as all body parts are washed many times
Ablution also helps prevents akin cancer as the ears washed during ablution are the parts of the body that are most prone to exposure to pollution, internal and external, Ablution removes this pollution five times a day and therefore maintains a clean outer layer of the skin, which in turn assists cells underneath to function properly.
Ablution: A Message of Spirituality & Purity
Ablution is being used as a medical practice in hospitals.
1. Washing hands, face, and feet:
- Wudu removes all the dust and dust that has accumulated on the skin.
- Refreshes the skin by removing fatigue.
- Keeps skin looking younger and stops skin ageing.
- It opens skin pores.
- Disperses sweat and fats.
- Protects eyes by cleaning them.
2. Washing mouth:
- Removes food particles.
- Prevents teeth problems.
- Gets rid of mouth odours.
- Gives strength to the muscles of the mouth.
3. Rinsing nostrils:
- Removes germs trapped in the hair follicles of the nose.
- Prevents germs from entering the body.
4. Washing the ears (inside & behind):
- Removes extra wax from the ears.
- Prevents wax buildups.
- Prevents mastoiditis from arising.
5. Washing between the toes:
- Removes all the bacteria hidden between fingers and inside nails.
- Prevents the athlete’s foot.
6. Washing the Arms:
- Prevents mental problems.
There are 3 major veins in the elbow connected to the heart, liver and brain.
- Gives strength.
Puts pressure at points of particles of light creating a flow.
7. Wiping the Head:
- Prevents spinal cord problems.
There is a major vein between the back of the head and neck that connects the spinal cord.
- Spreads energy throughout the body.
There are several nerves passing through that major nerve that spreads throughout the body.
- Prevents fever and mental problems.
- Regulates high blood pressure.
More Amazing Benefits of Ablution :
- Prevention of cancer.
- Stimulates blood flow.
- Resembles the Science Of Chinese Reflexology.
- Provides relaxation.
- Regulates blood pressure.
- Prevents blindness.
Many foreign countries’ hospitals use Ablution as a treatment to cure patients of many ailments and believe that the number of depression cases in Muslims is low because of 5 times Ablution. Allah says:
وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَتَّخِذُ مِن دُونِ اللَّهِ أَندَادًا يُحِبُّونَهُمْ كَحُبِّ اللَّهِ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَشَدُّ حُبًّا لِّلَّهِ وَلَوْ يَرَى الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُوا إِذْ يَرَوْنَ الْعَذَابَ أَنَّ الْقُوَّةَ لِلَّهِ جَمِيعًا وَأَنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعَذَابِ
“And among the mankind who takes from besides Allah equals. They love them as (they should) love Allah. And those who believe[d] (are) stronger (in) love for Allah. And if would see those who wronged, when they will see the punishment that the power (belongs) to Allah all and [that] Allah (is) severe (in) [the] punishment.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:165)
Cleanliness is important not only from the religious perspective but scientifically it is proved that wudu is the most appropriate practice to purify the organs of the human body. Every Muslim performs wudu (ablution) before offering prayers. It is a simple, certain and obligatory pattern of washing one’s body parts with which they start their prayers. Allah says:
“The prayer of a person who does, Hadath (passes urine, stool or wind) is not accepted till he performs (repeats) the ablution.” (Sahih Bukhari)
It is to be noted that Muslims wash their hands before rinsing their mouth, ensuring that they rinse their mouth with clean water. During the ablution, Muslims rinse their mouth in order to remove food particles and bacteria from the mouth. Most of them prefer miswak – a natural toothbrush made from a twig or root of the tree which has its own antiseptic properties, for cleaning the mouth before ablution.
“O you who have believed, when you rise to [perform] prayer, wash your faces and your forearms to the elbows and wipe over your heads and wash your feet to the ankles.” (Al-Ma`idah 5:6)
Acts of Performing Ablution (Wudu)
Following are the acts of performing wudu that we should follow:
- The first step is to make Niyaat of prayer in the heart
- Then recite Bismillah in the Arabic language
- Start washing your hands till the wrists start from the right hand
- After it takes water in the right hand and put it in the mouth three times
- Then, wash nostrils properly three times
- After that, wash your face three times with both of your hands
- Over it, wash your right arm till the elbow three times; similarly, wash your left arm three times
- After that, wash your head from the forehead to the back. Then, clean your ears with the hands
- At last, put water on the right and left foot three times. This is the last step of ablution
Ablution helps prevent skin cancer because the areas that are washed during ablution are the parts of the body that are most prone to be exposed to pollution, whether it is pollution from the internal secretions of the body on to the skin surface, such as sweat, or whether it is external. Allah says:
وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَشْرِي نَفْسَهُ ابْتِغَاءَ مَرْضَاتِ اللَّهِ وَاللَّهُ رَءُوفٌ بِالْعِبَادِ
“And of the people (is the one) who sells his own self seeking pleasure (of) Allah. And Allah (is) full of Kindness to His servants.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:207)
In every Islamic ritual, there are numerous hidden scientific benefits on which scientists are working. Muslims are, by real means, blessed with Allah’s undeniable wisdom. Therefore, for the process of spiritual cleanliness to take place, the beginning must be physical. Hence when a person washes the face and limbs several times a day at different intervals, he or she is refreshed and kept clean. Allah says:
الَّذِي جَعَلَ لَكُمُ الْأَرْضَ فِرَاشًا وَالسَّمَاءَ بِنَاءً وَأَنزَلَ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ مَاءً فَأَخْرَجَ بِهِ مِنَ الثَّمَرَاتِ رِزْقًا لَّكُمْ فَلَا تَجْعَلُوا لِلَّهِ أَندَادًا وَأَنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ
“The One Who made for you the earth a resting place and the sky a canopy, and sent down from the sky water, then brought forth therewith [of] the fruits (as) provision for you. So (do) not set up to Allah rivals while you [you] know.” (Surah Al-Haj 2:22)
We should try to remain in the state of Ablution every time. It will bring us closer to Allah. Also, it is necessary to perform wudu before worshipping Allah or offering prayer and reciting the Quran. Ablution is an important part of Islam and our faith. It not only helps to achieve purity physically but also spiritually and mentally. The benefits of performing Ablution are not limited to get virtues, but also help you to save you from many harmful diseases and bad activities