Peace is when people are able to resolve their conflicts without violence and can work together to improve the quality of their lives.
Peace is when:
- Everyone lives in safety, without fear or threat of violence, and no form of violence is tolerated in law or in practice
- Everyone is equal before the law, the systems for justice are trusted, and fair and effective laws protect people’s rights
- Everyone is able to participate in shaping political decisions and the government is accountable to the people
- Everyone has fair and equal access to the basic needs for their wellbeing – such as food, clean water, shelter, education,healthcare and a decent living environment
- Everyone has an equal opportunity to work and make a living, regardless of gender, ethnicity or any other aspect of identity
Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures.~ John F. Kennedy
“Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.”~ Albert Einstein
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
“Peace comes from being able to contribute the best that we have, and all that we are, toward creating a world that supports everyone. But it is also securing the space for others to contribute the best that they have and all that they are.” ~ Hafsat Abiola
“If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner.” ~ Nelson Mandela