Salamis the name of Allah Almighty its meaning is “May the blessing of His name descend upon you.” Hence when someone greets Salaam to another it is as if he/she is saying to him/her “I am offering you safety and security and I have no intention to harm you anywhere.”Muslims should greet each other by saying “As-Salaamu Alaikum”. One should respond with “Wa-Alaikumus Salaam”. The response of Salaam has a similar reward as of saying salaam. Allah says:
وَأُدْخِلَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِمْ تَحِيَّتُهُمْ فِيهَا سَلَامٌ
“And will be admitted, those who believed and did righteous deeds (to) Gardens flows from underneath it the rivers (will) abide forever in it by the permission (of) their Lord; their greetings therein (will be) peace.” (Surah Ibrahim 14:23)
Every one of us should make a habit of saying “As-Salaamu Alaikum”. Whenever you enter the house or see a child or an adult say, Salaam. Salaam is one of the special courtesy in the life of Muslims. Saying salaam especially when meeting or visit someone is not only a tradition but also can be a way to change yourself to be better in Islam. Even the Messenger of Allah Sallallahu ‘Alaihi Wasallam gives big attention to this Salaam. Allah says:
وَإِذَا حُيِّيتُم بِتَحِيَّةٍ فَحَيُّوا بِأَحْسَنَ مِنْهَا أَوْ رُدُّوهَا إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ حَسِيبًا
“And when you are greeted with a greeting, then greet with better than it or return it. Indeed, Allah is of everything an Accountant.” (Surah An-Nisa 4:86)
Salaam has virtue in the life of Muslims in the world. Salaam is also not only used as a symbol that is delivered to special people in the opening or closing of an event. Abdullah Bin Amr said a companion has asked Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘Alaihi Wa Sallam, “What Islam is the best? Then he answered in the narrated of Bukhari-Muslim that sound: Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تَدْخُلُوا بُيُوتًا غَيْرَ بُيُوتِكُمْ حَتَّىٰ تَسْتَأْنِسُوا وَتُسَلِّمُوا عَلَىٰ أَهْلِهَا ذَٰلِكُمْ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَذَكَّرُونَ
“O you who believe! (Do) not enter houses other (than) your houses until you have asked permission and you have greeted [on] its inhabitants. That (is) best for you so that you may pay heed.” (Surah An-Nur:: 24:27)
Rasulullah has arranged a rule in spreading salaam in many of his hadith. Because of that, some Ulama put it in a special chapter Salaam. Allah Subhanahi Wa Ta’ala has also arranged about the courtesy of Salaam especially when you will go in someone’s residence. Not only is salaam equated with many other important deeds, but it is one of the defining criteria of belief. We observe many Hadiths about the position of exchanging salaam in Islam.
BENEFITS OF “AS-SALAAMU ALAIKUM”
- Salaam is one way to get a lot of rewards
- Salaam can spread love between Muslims
- Open away to the door of heaven
- Salaam is the way to reach the perfection of faith
- Exchanging salaam holds a high position in Islam
The virtues of Salaam in Islam are :
There are many benefits of saying As-Salaamu Alaikum some of them are given below:
- Saying As-Salaamu Alaikum is a means of extensive reward.
- Salaam is an aspect of Imaan. Once a man asked from Holy Prophet (SAW) about which aspect of Islam was the best then Holy Prophet (PBUH) replied: “Feeding the hungry and saying salaam to those you know and those you don’t know.”(Bukhari)
- Our beloved Prophet (SAW) said: “When two Muslims meet (give salaam), and shake hands, they are forgiven their sins before they part (with each other)”(Abu Dawud). So we can say that As-Salaamu Alaikum is a source of getting rid of sins.
- Saying salaam is a means of entering Jannah. Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: “You will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I not tell you about something which, if you do it, you will love one another? Spread salaam (the greeting of peace) among you.”(Muslim)
- In the Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says: “Then, those that feared their Lord shall be driven in companies into Paradise. When they draw near its gates will be opened, and its keepers will say to them: “Salaamu ‘Alaikum”, you have done well. Enter and live in it forever.”(Quran, 39:73). From this verse of the Noble Quran, we can say that Salaam is the greeting of the people of Jannah.
- Salaam is a prayer of peace and blessings.
مَا كَانَ لِلنَّبِيِّ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَن يَسْتَغْفِرُوا لِلْمُشْرِكِينَ وَلَوْ كَانُوا أُولِي قُرْبَىٰ مِن بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُمْ أَنَّهُمْ أَصْحَابُ الْجَحِيمِ
“Not (it) is for the Prophet and those who believe that they ask forgiveness for the polytheists, even though they are near to kin, after [what] has become clear to them, that they (are the) companions (of) the Hellfire.” (Surah At-Taubah 9:113)
The courtesy of Salaam, for some Muslims, is still a common culture. In this sense, it does not mean that the majority of Muslims do not know about it, but they are not accustomed to practising it in daily life. And of course, there are many Muslims who do not know about the virtue of Salaam. Most of them tend to prefer greetings in dimple languages, such as saying hi, hello, good morning, good afternoon, good night and other speeches. Allah says:
وَإِذَا بَلَغَ الْأَطْفَالُ مِنكُمُ الْحُلُمَ فَلْيَسْتَأْذِنُوا كَمَا اسْتَأْذَنَ الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِهِمْ كَذَٰلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ آيَاتِهِ وَاللَّهُ عَلِيمٌ حَكِيمٌ
“And when reach the children among you the puberty then let them ask permission as asked permission those who (were) before them. Thus Allah makes clear for His Verses. And Allah (is) All-Knower All-Wise.” (Surah An-Nur 24:59)
Salaam is one teaching of Islam that must be run. With following allow the virtues of Salaam in Islam, of course, it will make us happy to spread Salaam to the entire Muslim community in the world. As one source of Islamic law which is also the basis of Islamic law. Allah reminds the Muslims that offering greetings and the manner of the greeting are of utmost importance. Allah says:
لَّقَدْ كَانَ لَكُمْ فِي رَسُولِ اللَّهِ أُسْوَةٌ حَسَنَةٌ لِّمَن كَانَ يَرْجُو اللَّهَ وَالْيَوْمَ الْآخِرَ وَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ كَثِيرًا
“Certainly, is for you in (the) Messenger (of) Allah an excellent example for (one) who has hope (in) Allah and the Day the Last, and remembers Allah much.” (Surah Al-Ahzab 33:21)
Human interaction is an important facet of any society. In Islam, proper relationships are stressed at all phases of interaction and the common greeting holds a special place in Islamic manners. It has appropriated that we always spread salaam to every Muslim while passing or visiting them. One of the end-time traits is the disappearance of Salaam.