Every time Allah commands the believers to perform an act of worship with good character. The immense rewards Allah has in store for those who observe good character. Good character will be the heaviest righteous deed to be placed on a person’s scale of deeds on the Day of Judgement. Good character will attain the rank of those with a good record of voluntary fasts. A noble character is not confined to a particular type of people. Allah says:
الْمَالُ وَالْبَنُونَ زِينَةُ الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَالْبَاقِيَاتُ الصَّالِحَاتُ خَيْرٌ عِندَ رَبِّكَ ثَوَابًا وَخَيْرٌ أَمَلًا
“The wealth and children (are) adornment (of) the life (of) the world. But the enduring good deeds (are) better near your Lord (for) reward and better (for) hope.” (Surah Al-Kahf 18:46)
Good character is the main reason people will enter paradise. There are two types of people; some are blessed by Allah to have naturally a noble character and others have to develop it by training themselves with knowledge and effort. Surround yourself with people of good character, make dua Allah brings righteous people on your path. Perfection of noble character was one of the most important objectives of the Prophet’s mission. Allah says:
وَسَارِعُوا إِلَىٰ مَغْفِرَةٍ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ وَجَنَّةٍ عَرْضُهَا السَّمَاوَاتُ وَالْأَرْضُ أُعِدَّتْ لِلْمُتَّقِينَ
“And march forth in the way (which leads to) forgiveness from your Lord, and for Paradise as wide as are the heavens and the earth, prepared for the pious.” (Surah Al ‘Imran 3:133)
People are very rarely overnight successes. And character is seldom achieved in one fall swoop. More often, the character is the result of a long process of determined determination. Some people succeed because they are destined to, but most people succeed because they are determined to. So go ahead and put some extra thought into the character you are building. Consider what your character’s life is like before their story begins.
Realize what your shortcomings are and find different ways to improve yourself:
- Identify people who you think exhibit desirable character
- Identify people and find ways to shake up the status
- Identify people and think about the things you like
- Identify people and sign you’re building character
- Identify yourself with people of high character
- Identify people surround you with sycophants
- Identify people in your life that you respect
- Identify people who make the best version
- Identify people who makes you successful
- Identify people and get a comfort zone
- Identify people and build your skills
- Identify people and figure out in comforts
- Identify people and focus on one new skill
- Identify with those people who admire you
- Identify people and adopt an excellent way
- Identify people and handle tough situations
- Identify other people on a complicated level
- Identify people and focus on the bigger picture
- Identify people and commit to self-improvement
- Identify people and take steps toward your character
Character in life is essential both for individual success and for our society to function successfully. In order to build character in anything, you need to first notice what you are struggling with. If you are struggling with humility, find resources that can help you learn how to be more humble and practice. If you struggle with self-discipline, set goals and work towards accomplishing them in the right way.
Build character to help grow your self-confidence, and improve your self-esteem:
- Character’s personality is more than just a list of positive and negative traits
- Character is identity, can help you better develop their worldview
- Character is identity your race, religion, ethnicity and background
- Character establish a naming system for your fictional world
- Character is closely related to the concept of Integrity
- Character traits in a wide range of influential leaders
- Character is your story must serve a purpose
- Character’s life is like before their story begins
- Character’s personality to breathe life onto the page
- A character may seem simple, but names can hold great power
- Character is a key component of personal and professional success
- Character building largely depends on your personal values and goals
We should never ignore our habits, though. Habits affect the character. Good habits feed our inner goodness. Work for work’s sake creates little. Whatever our responsibilities, we need to do the work. Whatever our purpose, we need to do our important work. Getting our tempo right will take time. Through doing the work, our time will rise up, and our character will show its strength in purpose. Keep focused on your purpose horizon and do the work.
Continue practising these ways to build your character:
- Be nice when everything tempts you not to be nice: A quiet strength of character exists in being humble and nice. Build this character strength.
- Always get up, no matter what, to create: Keep getting up and creating what you are meant to do. After all, this is the only way your purpose will take root and begin to bloom.
- No task is too small and no person is too ordinary or extraordinary: Never think or do things that make others feel small. Always pitch in no matter the task. Our hands are meant to be extended in a helpful way.
- Be sincere in asking Allah: Be sincere in asking Allah to give you good character; make dua day and night.
- Be patient and keep trying; fight your nafs to leave lying, bad words, bad environments, etc.
- Live out your principles and values: Whether it’s “love others,” or ” do the right thing,” living by your principles will make decision making easier and your character more steadfast.
- Be intentional: Be intentional about filling your mind with good thoughts. Creating a habit of this internalizes principles and breeds high character.
- Practice self-discipline: Being of high character takes the ability to do what is right over what is easy.
- Be accountable: Surround yourself with people who have high expectations. Be responsible for yourself first. Lose the pride. Open yourself up to accountability. Let others push you to the high character.
Character is not something that comes about as a result of the crisis; it merely comes out in a crisis. Character is not made in a crisis; it is only exhibited. People of character know there is no right way to do the wrong thing. And conversely, people of character know there is never a wrong time to do the right thing. If you start wrong, you’ll end wrong.” You’ve got to do the right thing.
Here are some practical verses on how to strive to build a character:
- “Allah does not like corruption.” (Al-Baqarah, 2:205)
- Try to make peace between husband & wife.” (Quran 4:128)
- “And indeed, you are of a great moral character.” (Quran, 68:4)
- Forgive others, as you would like Allah to forgive you.” (Quran 24:22)
- “Do not let the hatred of people prevent you from being just…” (Quran 5:8)
- “Punish equivalently to how you were harmed or be patient.” (Quran, 16:126)
- “Adopt forgiveness, instruct what is right and ignore the foolish.” (Quran 7:199)
- “Don’t sit with those who mock religion until they change the subject.” (Quran, 4:140)
Islam stresses the importance of noble character among all members of the family. A noble character is part and parcel of faith and belief. Purification can only be attained by purging one’s heart from such imperfections as associating others with Allah in worship, having a bad moral character like hatred and jealousy and ridding one’s speech and deeds of all forms of evil practices. Allah says:
قُل لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ يَغُضُّوا مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِمْ وَيَحْفَظُوا فُرُوجَهُمْ ذَٰلِكَ أَزْكَىٰ لَهُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا يَصْنَعُونَ
“Say to the believing men they should lower their gaze and they should guard their chastity. That (is) purer for them. Indeed, Allah (is) All-Aware of what they do.” (Surah An-Nur 24:30)
A Muslim is required to follow the dictates of Islamic law and observe noble character even in times of war and in difficult times. We need to remember to be big in our character and reduce the size of our personality. Personal brand chatter focuses too much on superficial things and too much on self-importance. If you want to build a sustainable personal brand, focus on your personal character early and often.
Ways to Build Your Character:
- Talented people are sometimes tempted to take shortcuts. Character prevents that.
- Talented people may feel superior and expect special privileges. Character helps them know better.
- Talented people are praised for what others see them build. Character builds what’s inside them.
- Talented people have the potential to be difference makers. Character makes the difference in them.
- Talented people are a gift to the world. Character protects that gift.”
In good times, we need to continue to add to our character by what we say and do. We need to pass on our lessons learned and share our wealth of experience along with whatever else we give. People will remember your stories of character, and these stories deliver much more meaning than a name on a building. Legacy of character carries forward like folklore. Allah says:
الْبِرُّ حُسْنُ الْخُلُقِ وَالإِثْمُ مَا حَاكَ فِي صَدْرِكَ وَكَرِهْتَ أَنْ يَطَّلِعَ عَلَيْهِ النَّاسُ
“Righteousness is a good character and sin is what wavers in your heart and you hate for people to find out about it.” (Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2553)
Kindness is more important than wisdom. And the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom. When you’re kind to others, you grow your character ahead of God and this world. And your acts of kindness should have nothing to do with how you feel or the struggles you face. People of character are known for their persistence. They don’t bail out when the times get tough. Helping readers visualize your character by establishing their height, build, and colouring is important.