Allah the Almighty has made it clear for us to use the night to rest, and the day to “see”. The word “see” here shows Allah’s defined knowledge (revealed to our beloved Prophet nearly 1400 years ago) that it is indeed “light” that affects our cycle, similar to what has only been recently discovered using modern science. Note the precise manner in which Allah addressed this matter. Allah says:
هُوَ الَّذِىۡ جَعَلَ لَـكُمُ الَّيۡلَ لِتَسۡكُنُوۡا فِيۡهِ وَالنَّهَارَ مُبۡصِرًاؕ اِنَّ فِىۡ ذٰ لِكَ لَاٰيٰتٍ لِّـقَوۡمٍ يَّسۡمَعُوۡنَ
“It is Allah alone Who has made the night that you may rest in it and has made the day light-giving. Surely in that, there are signs for those who give heed (to the call of the Messenger).” (Surah Yunus 10:67)
If we look from outside earth, it is clearly seen that night coves day. Also, we can see that the earth is surrounded by darkness from all sides. If we record earth rotation in a movie and we play it in forwarding speed, we will see as if a night is trying to catch day but it (night)couldn’t precede or to be at the head of it(day). Allah says:
إِنَّ فِى خَلْقِ السَّمٰوٰتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلٰفِ الَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ لَءَايٰتٍ لِّأُولِى الْأَلْبٰبِ
“Verily! In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, there are indeed Signs for men of understanding.” (Surah Al-Imran, 190 – 200)
The apparent movement of the sun across the sky is actually due to the rotation of our Earth. The sun always appears to rise in the east and set in the west regardless of where you are on earth. Allah says:
وَهُوَ الَّذِي يُحْيِي وَيُمِيتُ وَلَهُ اخْتِلَافُ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ ۚ أَفَلَا تَعْقِلُونَ
“It is He who gives you life and death, and His the alternation of night and day. Even then you do not understand.” (Surah Al-Muminun 23:80)
When the sun rises, that part of the earth is turning to face the sun. When the sunsets, that part of the earth is turning away from the sun. The sun itself doesn’t actually rise or set. Each planet spins around or rotates on its axis.
Night and day move at the same speed and they swim around the earth due to earth rotation:
- The day commences before sunrise at the crack (thread) of Dawn (the sun is present below the horizon but is “not visible” at this stage)
- The day ends after the sun is set
- Night and Day are timing devices and help us “calculate” our daily Salat times
- Phases of the moon are timing devices.
- Counting and Calculating are both permitted. The calculation is a complex phenomenon.
- Whereas counting is a simple phenomenon. You cannot calculate if you cannot count
- There is no evidence in the Quran that the new moon has to be physically sighted and witnessed before the next month can commence.
- Most “Muslims” accept calculation methods to determine the timing of their daily prayers but reject the same Quranic principle when it comes to the calculation of months.
- They rely on other sources besides God, which mandate physically sighting the crescent.
- Similarly, most “Muslims” use conjecture to determine the night of destiny which leads them astray from the true blessings of the months of Ramadan
“By the Sun and its morning brightness, and the moon when it follows it, and the day when it displays it, and the night when it conceals it.” (Surah Ash-Shams, 1-4)
Night and day move at the same speed and they swim around the earth due to earth rotation around itself. God has created in the kingdom of plants those which need daily darkness until they flower, thus they are called” long night plants” on the contrary, there are others which need light” long daytime plants. Allah says:
“It is He who created the Night and the Day, and the sun and the moon: all (the celestial bodies) swim along, each in its rounded course.” (Surah Al- Anbiyaa- verse 33)
We have to look attentively at (all swim along, each in its rounded course), as the sun has its rounded course and the moon has its rounded course, also there is a continuous and organized move for day and night as proof that earth is spherical. Allah says:
“It is out of His mercy, He (Allah) has made the night and the day to take rest after the fatigue of the day for earning your livelihood. You should be thankful for your Lord for this great favour.” (Quran, 28:73)
Night and day overlap along a circle that surrounds the earth in an area where sunset happens on one side and sunrise happens on the other side. Allah says:
“Do not you see that Allah merges Night into Day And He merges Day into Night; that He has subjected the sun and the moon (to His law), each running its course for a term appointed; and that Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do?” (Surah Luqman – verse 29)
The moon is an inert body that reflects light, whereas the sun is a celestial body in a state of permanent combustion producing both light and heat. Allah says:
“Did you see how Allah created seven heavens, one above the other, and made in them the moon a light and the sun a lamp?” (Quran, 71: 15-16)
The differentiation between daytime and night in length, brightness, darkness, warmth, and coldness are important factors for life. For instance, in flowering plants, neither fruits nor seeds will grow if flowers haven’t, and these flowers don’t grow on any plant unless it has a chemical biological substance called” flowering hormone” which leads to the flowering process.
Allah Almighty says the Holy Quran:
- “… My Lord encompasses all things in His knowledge so will you not pay heed?” (Surat Al-Anam, 80)
- “That is to be because of Allah plungeth the night into the day and plungeth the day into the night, and because He is Hearing, Beholding.” (Quran 22:61)
- “And a Sign for them is the Night: We withdraw therefrom the Day and behold they are plunged in darkness.” ( Surat Yasin – verse 37 )
- “He is the One who designed the night to be a cover, and for you to sleep and rest. And He made the day a resurrection.” (Quran 25:47 )
- “It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor does the night outstrip the day. They all float, each in an orbit.” (Surat Yasin – verse 40)
- “And the Sun runs to its resting place. That is the decree of the Almighty, the All-Knowing.” (Surah Ya-Sin, 38)
- “God controls the night and day. This should be a lesson for those who possess eyes.” (Quran 24:44)
The differentiation between daytime and night in length, brightness, darkness, warmth, and coldness are important factors for life. For instance, in flowering plants, neither fruits nor seeds will grow if flowers haven’t, and these flowers don’t grow on any plant unless it has a chemical biological substance called” flowering hormone” which leads to the flowering process. Allah says:
“And He hath made subject to you the sun and the moon, both diligently pursuing their courses: and the Night and the Day hath He (also) made subject to you.” (Surah Ibrahim – verse 33)
Night moves toward the west and covers the day from all sides, on the other side of the earth the day moves toward the east trying to reach the night. This process happens continuously. The information provided in the Quran about the day and night is just one of these amazing miracles. Allah says:
إِنَّ فِي خَلْقِ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلاَفِ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ لآيَاتٍ لِّأُوْلِي الألْبَابِ
“Verily, in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the succession of night and day, there are indeed messages for all who are endowed with insight.” (Al-Imran 3:190)
The area which separates night from day appears as a thin thread that separates darkness from light. This verse tells us about a separating area and the dawn in the middle between both of them. Allah has made day and night and asked us to discipline our bodies and minds to follow the correctness of our routines in it. Allah says:
يُقَلِّبُ اللَّهُ اللَّيْلَ وَالنَّهَارَ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَعِبْرَةً لِأُولِي الْأَبْصَار
“Allah alternates the night and the day. Indeed in that is a lesson for those who have a vision.” (Surah An-Nur 24:44)
One of the things that prove that the Quran is the words of Allah, is that it informs us of scientific facts that no one could have possibly known about when Quran was sent 1400 years ago. Being that can manage the Universe and every living thing that it contains is no doubt worthy of our worship. So read the Quran and learn the powers of Allah. And know that Allah never sleeps. Be it night or day. May Allah enable all of us to follow his instructions in the Quran, Ameen.