Divine blessings on Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) are the highest and the most meritorious act in our Deen. This “Divine Blessings” is called Durood Shareef. All the previous Messengers were chosen for specific peoples, but Hazrat Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) holds a distinction in this regard to have been sent for the whole of humankind. When Almighty Allah sends Durood and Salaams upon Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam), He is actually blessing him. Allah says:
إِنَّ اللَّهَ وَمَلَائِكَتَهُ يُصَلُّونَ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا صَلُّوا عَلَيْهِ وَسَلِّمُوا تَسْلِيمًا
“Indeed, Allah and His Angels send blessings upon the Prophet. O you who believe! Send blessings on him and greet him (with) greetings.” (Surah Al-Ahzab, 33: 56)
Muslims hope that, through the blessings of the Durood and Salaams, Almighty Allah will forgive them of their sins and increase their status in this world and in the Aakirah. The Malaa’ikah hope that Almighty Allah will increase their status. The reciter of Durood Shareef will, after some time, come to realize by himself that it is the spontaneous outpouring of his heart before the Great Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) of Islam, whose love and attachment are needed to get all the present-day problems solved and obtain mercy in the next world. Allah says:
وَالَّذِينَ يُؤْذُونَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنَاتِ بِغَيْرِ مَا اكْتَسَبُوا فَقَدِ احْتَمَلُوا بُهْتَانًا وَإِثْمًا مُّبِينًا
“And those who harm the believing men and the believing women for other than what they have earned, then certainly, they bear false accusation and sin manifest.” (Surah Al-Ahzab, 33:58)
Muslims are very fortunate people. Allah Ta’ala chose for them the name of Islam as a religion, declared to be comprehensive and final for mankind. By reciting Durood Shareef (Salawat) we invite Light and drive away all darkness from our inner soul. Our mind becomes soft and loves saturated. If there is softness in everything, it tends beauty to it. People become ugly owing to a lack of this essential beauty of the inner part of the mind. The reciter of Durood-e-Pak is blessed with the proximity of Almighty Allah and His Prophet, May Allah blesses him & grant him peace.
“None of you will have faith till he loves me more than his father, his children, and all mankind.” (Bukhari)
As Muslims, we should recite Durood Shareef in the Arabic language. Islam seeks to create a unified outlook and it is in the Arabic language alone that welds all Muslims into one great brotherhood. It is also the way of fulfilling one`s religious duty of adoring Muhammad (SAW) as Anas (RA) has narrated in Sahih Bukhari:
Benefits of Reciting Durood Sharif
There are many benefits for the one who recites Durood Sharif daily with affection and respect. The recitation of Durood Sharif reflects one’s true love and affection towards the Holy Prophet (SAW). Below we will discuss some benefits of Reciting Durood Sharif with reference to Holy Prophet (SAW) Hadiths.
- Closeness to the Holy Prophet (PBUH) in Jannah: In Hadith Prophet (SAW) said: “On the Day of Judgment the person closest to me will be the one who has sent the most Durood unto me.” (Tirmidhi). There is so much importance in reciting Durood Sharif we should recite Durood Sharif excessively if want to be close to Prophet (SAW) in Jannah.
- Closeness to Allah Almighty: Reciting Durood Sharif brings one closer to Allah and Prophet (PBUH). Reciting Durood means we are obeying the commands of Allah Almighty. It is indeed a duty of every Muslim to send blessings to the Holy Prophet (SAW) by reciting Durood Sharif as Allah and his angels do.
- Reciting Durood Sharif on Friday: Holy Prophet (SAW) said: “On Friday, send Durood abundantly to me, as it is presented before me.” (Abu Dawud). For receiving rewards from Allah Almighty we should recite Durood Sharif on Friday.
- Greatest Rewards from Allah Almighty: Allah showers ten blessings on the man who recites a Durood. Prophet (PBUH) said in Hadith: “Whoever supplicates Allah to exalt for me, Allah would exalt him ten times.”(Muslim)
- Blessings: One who recites Durood Sharif ten times in the morning and ten times in the evening will receive the help of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) on the Day of Judgment.
- Acceptance of Supplications: Since Durood Sharif is a source of acceptance of supplications. Allah accepts our all Duas if we recite Durood Sharif on Prophet Muhammad (SAW).
- Solve Problems: If anyone is involved in a difficulty then he must recite Durood Sharif in countless numbers. Also when someone is angry, he should recite Durood Sharif Insha-Allah, Allah will solve all his problems.
- Erase Poverty and Hunger: Reciting Durood Sharif abolishes poverty and hunger.
- Remember Forgotten Things: When you forget anything and your memory fails to recollect it then recite Durood Sharif, you will remember the forgotten things.
- Fulfilment of Desires: Moreover, One who recites Durood Sharif maximum time a day and Allah will accept all his prayers or supplications and fulfil all his Hajats (desires).
- There is so much importance in reciting Durood Sharif we should recite Durood Sharif excessively if want to be close to Prophet (SAW) in Jannah.
- Reciting Durood Sharif brings one closer to Allah and Prophet (PBUH).
- Reciting Durood means we are obeying the commands of Allah Almighty.
- It is indeed a duty of every Muslim to send blessings to Holy Prophet (SAW) by reciting Durood Sharif as Allah and his angels do.
- Allah showers ten blessings on the man who recites a Durood.
- Durood Shareef is a source of acceptance of supplications. Allah accepts our all Duas if we recite Durood Shareef on Prophet Muhammad (SAW).
- If anyone is involved in a difficulty then he must recite Durood Sharif in countless numbers.
- Also when someone is angry, he should recite Durood Shareef, Insha-Allah, Allah will solve all his problems.
- Reciting Durood Sharif abolishes poverty and hunger.
- When you forget anything and your memory fails to recollect it then recite Durood Shareef, you will remember the forgotten things.
- One who recites Durood Shareef maximum time a day and Allah will accept all his prayers or supplications and fulfil all his Hajats (desires).
- The reciter of Durood-e-Pak will be granted a place under the shade of Arsh-e-Ilahi on the Day of Judgement
- By reciting Durood-e-Pak once, ten sins are forgiven, ten virtues are granted, the reciter’s status is raised by ten degrees, and ten Divine Favours are bestowed on him
- If anyone recites Durood Shareef from any place, any part of the world from any distance, it actually reaches the Holy Prophet (PBUH) immediately.
- Allah Ta’ala has appointed several Angels who are given exclusive duty to collect all Durood Shareef and present the same before the Holy Prophet (PBUH) immediately.
- Recitation of Durood-e-Pak purifies the heart
- Durood-e-Pak is the key to success
We should recite Durood every time and we should make it a habit. Also, you might recite it more diligently (exercising) when you pray (Dua) to Allah. As reciting Durood before and after the Dua makes Dua more prominent to be accepted. There are many Durood Shareef and every single Durood has its own supremacy and benefits but Durood-e-Ibrahimi is one of the most authentic and prominent.
Here are some Immense Benefits of Durood Sharif:
Make it a habit to recite Durood daily and see the immense benedictions & prosperity at your feet and all shortcomings will not even pass by you.
- The one who recites Durood diligently (Kasrat se) will be the closest to the Prophet Muhammad SAW (PBUH) on the Day of Judgment.
- Prophet Muhammad SAW (PBUH) said who recites one Durood on me, Allah writes 10 goodness’s (Nekiyan) for him, forgive 10 sins (Gunah), increase 10 degrees (Darja) and it is equal to releasing 10 slaves (Gulam).
- Angels (Farishte) of Allah pray Dua of Rehmat and Forgiveness for the person who recites Durood and it continues until he stops.
- It is the expiation (Kaffara) of sins. Its reciter will get salvation (Nijat) from terror (Khauf).
- Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) will give proof of the faith (Imaan) for the one who will recite Durood diligently.
- The durood-e-Pak reciter will see his house in Heaven (Jannat) before his death.
- Reciting Durood-e-Pak is equal to worshipping Allah and It’s also the most liked Amal by Allah.
- It removes poverty, provides victory for enemies, and guards against the backbiters.
- Dua will be accepted, sins will not be written for 3 days, reciting it will remove your sins like water quells fire.
- Reciting Durood diligently is the way of Heaven (Jannat). Angels stop tribulations (Musibat) from entering the house of a reciter.
In short, Durood Sharif is merely done for asking Allah (SWT) to bestow His Blessings and Mercy on His Messenger (PBUH) in order to show one`s reverence and gratitude for the Prophet’s (SAW)services to the Religion of Islam. It not only completes the Prophet`s (PBUH) right of honour but also results in getting many bounties and rewards from Allah Almighty, the Exalted in this world and in the hereafter. May Allah give us the strength to recite Durood Sharif abundantly on Prophet (SAW) so that we can show our love and respect towards Him (SAW), Ameen!