Islam is the true religion of God can become a Muslim. Islam is a lifelong journey and people work at different speeds. Islam is for the whole of humanity and Islam unites together people of different colours, languages, races. and nationalities into one brotherhood. Islam erases all sins committed prior to becoming a Muslim. Allah says:
يَمُنُّونَ عَلَيْكَ أَنْ أَسْلَمُوا قُل لَّا تَمُنُّوا عَلَيَّ إِسْلَامَكُم بَلِ اللَّهُ يَمُنُّ عَلَيْكُمْ أَنْ هَدَاكُمْ لِلْإِيمَانِ إِن كُنتُمْ صَادِقِينَ
“They consider (it) a favour to you that they have accepted submission/ Say, “(Do) not consider a favour on me – your submission/Islam. Nay, Allah has conferred a favour upon you that He has guided you to the faith if you are truthful.” (Surah Al-Hujurat 49:17)
If you are a small child you can still become a Muslim without your parent’s permission If you fear they may harm you, you can become Muslim in secret and tell them when you are ready. It is easy to become a Muslim. To become a Muslim one must simply pronounce the Shahaadatayn (Declaration of Faith) with sincerity and conviction. Allah says:
قَالَتِ الْأَعْرَابُ آمَنَّا قُل لَّمْ تُؤْمِنُوا وَلَٰكِن قُولُوا أَسْلَمْنَا وَلَمَّا يَدْخُلِ الْإِيمَانُ فِي قُلُوبِكُمْ وَإِن تُطِيعُوا اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ لَا يَلِتْكُم مِّنْ أَعْمَالِكُمْ شَيْئًا إِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ
“Say the Bedouins, “We believe.” Say, “Not you believe; but say, “We have submitted,” and has not yet entered the faith in your hearts. But if you obey Allah and His Messenger, not He will deprive you of your deeds anything. Indeed, Allah (is) Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (Surah Al-Hujurat 49:14)
What is meant by affirmation is to affirm divinity and that worship is only for Allah the Most Perfect; for it is He alone that is the true Deity. All the messengers of Allah told their people none has the right to be worshipped except Allah. So whatever else is taken by the unbelievers as deities to be worshipped is in fact all false and futile:
Allah Almighty says in The Holy Quran:
- “Indeed the Believers (believers in Islam)are but brothers.” (Quran 4 9:10)
- “We did not send any Messenger before you, except that We revealed to him that none has the right to be worshipped except Me; so worship Me.” (Al-Anbiyaa 21:25)
- “But if you turn away then not I have asked you any reward. Not (is) my reward but on Allah, and I have been commanded that I be of those-who-submit/Muslims.” (Yunus 10:72 )
- O you who believe[d]! Consciously revere Allah (as is His) right (that) He (should) be revered and (do) not die except [while you] (as) those-who-submit/Muslims.” (Imran 3:102)
- “That is because Allah is the true Deity to be worshipped, and whatever else they invoke besides Him is a vain falsehood.” (Surah al-Hajj 22:62)
- “If you (really) love Allah then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” ( Quran 3:31)
- “When said to him his Lord “Submit (yourself),” he said, “I (have) submitted to (the) Lord (of) the worlds.” (Al-Baqarah 2:131)
- ” And they were not commanded but to worship Allah, being sincere in devoting religion to Him.” (Quran 98:5)
- Say, “Only it is revealed to me that your god (is) God One; so will you submit (to Him)?” (Anbiya` 21:108)
In fact, the Muslim has to obey the commands of the Prophet, believe in what he has said, follow his Teachings, avoid what he has forbidden, and worship A11ah alone according to the message revealed to him. Allah says:
وَلَوْ شَاءَ رَبُّكَ لَآمَنَ مَن فِي الْأَرْضِ كُلُّهُمْ جَمِيعًا أَفَأَنتَ تُكْرِهُ النَّاسَ حَتَّىٰ يَكُونُوا مُؤْمِنِينَ
“And if (had) willed your Lord surely, (would) have believed who (are) in the earth all of them together. Then, will you compel mankind until they become believers?” (Surah Yunus 10:99)
What is the meaning of worship? It simply means rendering sincere service; showing reverence for Allah. In a deeper shade of meaning, it implies total submission and complete obedience to Allah’s Commandments both in utterances and actions, whether explicit or implicit and in private or public. Exclusively worshipping Allah, which is contrary to shirk. This is what Law Ilaaha ill-Allaah points towards.
Benefits of Converting to Islam
There are many benefits of converting to Islam. Some of them are:
One forms a personal and direct relationship with God by worshipping Him alone, without the need for intermediaries. One feels this personal relationship and is aware that God knows everything and is there to assist him/her.
- A person realizes the true purpose of his or her life, which is to recognize God and follow His commandments.
- A person is provided with a light, which guides him/her through life. The religion of Islam has answers to all situations, and one will always know the right steps to take in all aspects of life.
- One finds true happiness, tranquillity, and inner peace.
- Upon converting to Islam, all of one’s previous sins are forgiven, and one starts a new life of piety and righteousness.
- And as a Muslim, when one makes a mistake thereafter, he/she can always repent to God who forgives the sins of those who repent to Him sincerely. There are no intermediaries or created beings to make confessions to.
- One achieves salvation from Hellfire, which all prophets have warned against.
- The greatest benefit is that a Muslim is promised by God the reward of eternal Paradise (Heaven). Those who are blessed with Paradise will live eternally in bliss without any sort of sickness, pain or sadness.
- God will be pleased with them and they will be pleased with Him. Even the lowest in rank among the dwellers of Paradise will have ten times the like of this world, and they will have whatever they desire.
- In fact, in Paradise there are pleasures that no eye has ever seen, no ear has ever heard, and no mind has ever thought of. It will be very real life, not spiritual only, but physical as well.
وَلَا يَأْمُرَكُمْ أَن تَتَّخِذُوا الْمَلَائِكَةَ وَالنَّبِيِّينَ أَرْبَابًا أَيَأْمُرُكُم بِالْكُفْرِ بَعْدَ إِذْ أَنتُم مُّسْلِمُونَ
“And not he will order you that you take the Angels and the Prophets (as) lords. Would he order you to [the] disbelief after [when] you (have become) those-who-submit/Muslims?” (Surah Al-Imran 3:80)
To be a Muslim, one should also:
- Believe that the Holy Quran is the literal word of God, revealed by Him
- Believe that Judgment Day (Resurrection Day) is true and will come
- Accept Islam as his/her religion
- Not worship anything nor anyone except God
- Believe in the prophets that God sent and the books He revealed, and in His angels
Happiness, tranquillity and inner peace can be achieved by converting to Islam.
Islam itself is inherently associated with inner peace and tranquillity. The words Islam, Muslim and salaam (peace) all come from the root word “Sala – ma” denoting peace, security, and safety. When one submits to the will of God he or she will experience an innate sense of security and peacefulness. Allah says:
وَأَنَّا مِنَّا الْمُسْلِمُونَ وَمِنَّا الْقَاسِطُونَ فَمَنْ أَسْلَمَ فَأُولَٰئِكَ تَحَرَّوْا رَشَدًا
“And that we, among us (are) those-who-submit/Muslims and among us (are) unjust. And whoever submits, then those have sought (the) right path.” (Surah Al-Jinn 72:14)
Perfect happiness exists only in Paradise. There we will find total peace, tranquillity, and security and be free from the fear, anxiety, and pain that are part of the human condition. However, the guidelines provided by Islam allow us, imperfect humans, to seek happiness in this world. The key to being happy in this world and the next is seeking the pleasure of God, and worshipping Him, without associating partners with Him.