In Arabic, to pay zakah is to purify money. Zakah (Charity) is one of the five fundamental pillars of Islam, which is compulsory to perform on every Adult Muslim with enough financial resources. It is the concept that involves the outcome of spreading and maintaining equality and fairness in society. The poor, who cannot fulfil their daily life needs, are funded through it which ultimately results in their well being. Allah says:
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَأَقَامُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَآتَوُا الزَّكَاةَ لَهُمْ أَجْرُهُمْ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَلَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ
“Those who believe and lead a righteous life, and observe the Contact Prayers (Salat), and give the obligatory charity (Zakat), they receive their recompense from their Lord; they will have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:277)
The Zakat system helps to make sure the society’s wealth circulation is in a fair and clean condition. Due to the wealth, people must pay Zakat to the poor, the wealth will not become too rich whereas the poor will not become poorer. There are some restrictions to choosing the Zakat recipients, the restrictions can make sure those who receive the Zakat is with a reasonable and acceptable reason. Allah says:
وَاكْتُبْ لَنَا فِي هَٰذِهِ الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِي الْآخِرَةِ إِنَّا هُدْنَا إِلَيْكَ قَالَ عَذَابِي أُصِيبُ بِهِ مَنْ أَشَاءُ وَرَحْمَتِي وَسِعَتْ كُلَّ شَيْءٍ فَسَأَكْتُبُهَا لِلَّذِينَ يَتَّقُونَ وَيُؤْتُونَ الزَّكَاةَ وَالَّذِينَ هُم بِآيَاتِنَا يُؤْمِنُونَ
“My Mercy extends to all things. That (Mercy) I shall ordain for those who have God-consciousness and give their Zakat and those who believe in Our Signs.” (Surah Al-Araf 7:156)
Islam is the religion of peace and love. It emphasizes that Muslims should live in peace, love, and harmony with each other and also with the people of other religions. Islam teaches us to help poor and needy people and fulfil their needs in the form of charity. It means that Charity leads to purification of oneself from all kinds of evils like greed for wealth which also causes one to commit further wrongdoings. Above all, one gets countless blessings from the Almighty Lord through this action. Allah says:
وَقَرْنَ فِي بُيُوتِكُنَّ وَلَا تَبَرَّجْنَ تَبَرُّجَ الْجَاهِلِيَّةِ الْأُولَىٰ وَأَقِمْنَ الصَّلَاةَ وَآتِينَ الزَّكَاةَ وَأَطِعْنَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ إِنَّمَا يُرِيدُ اللَّهُ لِيُذْهِبَ عَنكُمُ الرِّجْسَ أَهْلَ الْبَيْتِ وَيُطَهِّرَكُمْ تَطْهِيرًا
“And stay in your houses and (do) not display yourselves (as was the) display (of the times of) ignorance the former. And establish the prayer and give zakah and obey Allah and His Messenger. Only Allah wishes to remove from you the impurity, (O) People (of) the House! And to purify you (with thorough) purification.” (Surah Al-Ahzab 33:33)
In Islam charity is in the form of Zakat which is obligatory on every Muslim. Those who are wealthy enough should pay Zakat to needy people. We all should know about the importance, types, and benefits of paying Zakat. In this article, we will discuss these concepts which every Muslim must know about it. You can download our zakat calculator app on your favourite device from the links provided below and easily calculate your zakat. Allah says:
خُذْ مِنْ أَمْوَالِهِمْ صَدَقَةً تُطَهِّرُهُمْ وَتُزَكِّيهِم بِهَا وَصَلِّ عَلَيْهِمْ إِنَّ صَلَاتَكَ سَكَنٌ لَّهُمْ وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ
“Take, [O, Muhammad], from their wealth a charity by which you purify them and cause them to increase, and invoke [Allah’s blessings] upon them. Indeed, your invocations are reassurance for them. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.” (Surah At-Tawbah, 9: 103)
Zakat has purposed to reduce poverty and destitution in society. Zakat, when paid out of submission to the command of Allah, is a means of purifying the soul of a Muslim from greed and miserliness. The vices of selfishness and greed must be controlled for human beings to elevate their spirits, to succeed in their social relations in their life, and gain admittance to paradise.
The Impact of Zakat on Social life of Muslim Society:
- Zakat brings a servant close to his Lord and increases his faith
- Zakat prevents financial crimes such as robbery and stealing
- Zakat extinguishes the fire of the revolution of the poor
- Zakat makes one reach the rank of the perfect believer
- Zakat helps Muslims to follow the honourable path
- Zakat results in great reward from Allah Almighty
- Zakat cleans one’s character from being a miser
- Zakat is the case with all of the acts of worship
- Zakat helps in reducing poverty in the society
- Zakat is proof of the truthfulness of the faith
- Zakat is the purification of the halal money
- Zakat perfecting and completing Islam
- Zakat makes an Islamic society
- Zakat purifies and increases wealth
- Zakat is a mandatory practice of Islam
- Zakat helps in the purification of the heart
- Zakat is paid to the most deserving people
- Zakat is proof of the truthfulness of the faith
- Zakat purifies the morals of the payer of Zakah
- Zakat is one of the causes of entering Paradise
- Zakat reduces the chances of deflation in society
- Zakat make a family in which the rich helps the poor
- Zakat makes one know the limits and rulings of Allah
- Zakat is one of the causes of the downfall of goodness
- Zakat expands the breast with assurance and gladdens the heart
The impact brought by Zakat towards economics has improved the living standard of society, the inequality and poverty problem reduced and helped to decrease the crime rate and any other social evil that would harm society. This is how the Zakat system makes a difference in society.
TYPES OF ZAKAT
- Zakat is divided into several types
- Zakat of KWSP/LTAT
- Zakat of Business
- Zakat of Income
- Zakat of Savings
- Zakat of Share
- Zakat of Crops
- Zakat of Livestock
- Zakat of Gold and Silver
- The Zakat of the body (Fitra)
Extra payment received by an individual from their employer or individual itself in the form of physical energy or physical or professional employment for a specific day, month and yearly also been required to pay Zakat. We all should pay Zakat so that we can also remove poverty from our society. May Allah Almighty give us the wisdom to realize the importance of Zakat calculation and give us the spirit to fulfil this obligation.
Zakat is distributed among 8 asnaf (categories) of people, namely:
- Fakir – One who has neither material possessions nor means of livelihood.
- Miskin – One with insufficient means of livelihood to meet basic needs.
- Amil – One who is appointed to collect zakat.
- Muallaf – One who converts to Islam.
- Riqab – One who wants to free himself from bondage or the shackles of slavery. (In Singapore, zakat due to this category of recipients is spent on those who need help to pursue education or to improve their standard of living).
- Gharmin – One who is in debt (money borrowed to meet basic, halal expenditure).
- Fisabillillah – One who fights for the cause of Allah.
- Ibnus Sabil – One who is stranded in the journey.
Allah Almighty says in The Holy Quran:
- “Take from their wealth so that you might purify and sanctify them.” (Quran 9:103)
- “Those who give to charity night and day, secretly and publicly, receive their recompense from their Lord; they will have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.” (Quran 2:274)
- “You cannot attain righteousness until you give to charity from the possessions you love. Whatever you give to charity, GOD is fully aware thereof.” (Quran 3:92)
- “By no means shall you attain righteousness unless you give (freely) of that which you love, and Allah knows well whatever you give.” (Aal-i-Imran: 92)
- “If the debtor is unable to pay, wait for a better time. If you give up the loan as a charity, it would be better for you, if you only knew.” (Quran 2:280)
- “And nothing do you spend in the least (in His cause) but He replaces it, for He is the Best of those who grant Sustenance.” (Sabaa: 39)
- “And establish prayer and give zakah and bow with those who bow in worship and obedience.” (Quran, 2: 43)
How to calculate Zakat?
Assets to include in your Zakat calculation are cash (in hand, in bank accounts or money lent to someone), shares, pensions, gold, and silver. Personal items (your home, furniture, cars, food, and clothing) are not included in Nisaab. Have you tried “The Zakat Calculator”? If not, then download now this Zakat calculator and use it for Zakat calculation. Allah says:
وَكَانَ يَأْمُرُ أَهْلَهُ بِالصَّلَاةِ وَالزَّكَاةِ وَكَانَ عِندَ رَبِّهِ مَرْضِيًّا
“And he used (to) enjoin (on) his people the prayer and zakah and was near his Lord pleasing.” (Surah Maryam 19:55)
Zakat also allows an individual to purify and grow his wealth. Man is naturally greedy and always want more and more to fulfil their unlimited utility. Zakat, with the obligatory charity, requires Muslims to do charity. This process might make people think of others and come out from the race of personal interests. It has helped to cleanse the selfishness of an individual where someone may extend his finances to help more poor people and those in need.