Allah (SWT) created man from three elements: mind, body, and spirit. The noblest of these three elements is the spirit which is a hidden secret from Allah, Allah gave us a religion fit for all these three elements; Islam for the body, faith for the mind and excellence for the spirit. Allah says:
وَإِذَا تَوَلَّىٰ سَعَىٰ فِي الْأَرْضِ لِيُفْسِدَ فِيهَا وَيُهْلِكَ الْحَرْثَ وَالنَّسْلَ وَاللَّهُ لَا يُحِبُّ الْفَسَادَ
“And when he turns away he strives in the earth to spread corruption [in it] and destroys the crops and progeny. And Allah (does) not love [the] corruption.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:205)
Hence, full integration is essential between these three elements to have an “aligned” human being and this alignment can never be achieved except through achieving a balance between all three elements. Allah says:
وَاجْعَلْنِي مِن وَرَثَةِ جَنَّةِ النَّعِيمِ
“And make me of (the) inheritors (of) Garden(s) (of) Delight.” (Surah Ash-Shu`ara` 26:85)
Every Muslim is required to do this self-purify, this purifies is very beneficial for all among Muslims who believe in Allah Almighty. A Muslim should perform this purification for their good. Allah Almighty says in the holy book of the Quran. Allah says:
رَبَّنَا وَابْعَثْ فِيهِمْ رَسُولًا مِّنْهُمْ يَتْلُو عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتِكَ وَيُعَلِّمُهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ وَيُزَكِّيهِمْ إِنَّكَ أَنتَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ
“Our Lord, and send among them a messenger from themselves who will recite to them Your verses and teach them the Book and wisdom and purify them. Indeed, You are the Exalted in Might, the Wise.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:129)
All humans will surely experience trials in his life, with this ordeal we tested by Allah Almighty to be more patient in living life in this world. Patience is also one way to purify oneself in Islam. Below here Allah Almighty says in Quran.
يَوْمَ لَا يَنفَعُ مَالٌ وَلَا بَنُونَ إِلَّا مَنْ أَتَى اللَّهَ بِقَلْبٍ سَلِيمٍ
“A day when there will be no benefit in wealth or children, but only in the who comes to Allah with a pure heart.” (Surah Ash-Shu’ara 26:88-89)
The human being is born and grows up with wild lusts (and maybe immoral ones) and some of these lusts find their way to us only through the traditions and habits of the people around us. No faith can be straight while these ‘impurities’ lurk in the dark corners of the human soul; that’s why self-purification is a prerequisite. Allah says:
قَدْ أَفْلَحَ مَن زَكَّاهَا وَقَدْ خَابَ مَن دَسَّاهَا
“He has succeeded who purifies the soul, and he has failed who corrupts the soul.” (Surah Ash-Shams 91:9-10)
In three, out of the four, instances we find ‘excellence’ mentioned in the Qur’an before ‘knowledge’ as a clear sign indicating the importance of self-purification in building the Muslim personality. Knowledge without self-purification or education is detrimental and it drives the person to conceit and arrogance which might drive him widely to seek the world in a devastating and corrupting way. Allah says:
وَإِنَّ مِن شِيعَتِهِ لَإِبْرَاهِيمَ إِذْ جَاءَ رَبَّهُ بِقَلْبٍ سَلِيمٍ
Verily, among his people was Abraham, when he came to his Lord with a pure heart. (Surah As-Saffat 37:83-84
Man is a creature of Allah Almighty who will never escape from sin. To wipe away all sins and purify oneself then do repentance. Purifying oneself aims for the good of a Muslim himself. A Muslim can achieve success in the future if he can purify himself well. Below here Allah says in the Quran. See also How To Get Sins Forgiven in Islam. Allah says:
اذْهَبْ إِلَىٰ فِرْعَوْنَ إِنَّهُ طَغَىٰ فَقُلْ هَل لَّكَ إِلَىٰ أَن تَزَكَّىٰ
“Go to Pharaoh, for verily, he is a transgressor. Say to him: Will you purify yourself? “(Surah An-Naz’iat 79:17-18)
Another form of a good deed that can purify oneself is to help and not harm others. The first step to purify yourself is by intention and request by praying to Allah Almighty. In this way, you can purify yourself well. Below here Allah Almighty says in Quran.
إِنَّ الصَّلَاةَ تَنْهَىٰ عَنِ الْفَحْشَاءِ وَالْمُنكَرِ ۗ وَلَذِكْرُ اللَّهِ أَكْبَرُ
“Verily, the prayer prohibits immorality and wrongdoing, and the remembrance of Allah is greater.” (Surah Al-Ankabut 29:45)
When the soul is contaminated, the foundation of your faith becomes weak. And this will eventually affect the heart and ultimately the physical limbs. It is therefore important to take heed when you notice signs of your soul in an impure condition and take appropriate action to find the right remedy it needs for growth and development.
Ways To Purify Yourself In Islam:
- A dua taught by the Prophet
- Perform Qiyamullail’s prayer
- Surrender to Allah Almighty
- An important Islam lessons
- Paying Zakat
- Give charity
- Be patient
- Recite the Holy Quran
- Do a repent sincerely
- Helping other people
- Remembering death
- The success in the Hereafter
- Ask sincerely to Allah Almighty
- Prayer of the Prophet Ibrahim AS
- Make requests by praying to Allah Almighty
“And We send down from the Quran that which is healing and a mercy to those who believe (in Islamic Monotheism and act on it,) and it increases the Zalimun (polytheist and wrong-doers) nothing but loss.” (Quran 17:82)
The human heart is very vulnerable to stains, the stain is caused by envy, arrogance, bad suspects, and others. Imagine, if the human heart is likened to clothing if the stained clothes will surely be washed or replaced with a new one. There is one prayer where this prayer was once offered by Prophet Ibrahim AS. This prayer is believed to be one of the prayers used to purify ourselves from sins.
Here is the right action towards the purification of your soul:
1. Having wrong intentions, all for worldly reasons not for Allah’s sole Pleasure.
2. Belittling the importance of seeking knowledge and transmitting it.
3. Feeling distant or disconnected from Allah and His book.
4. Feeling above the need to seek forgiveness from Allah .
5. Deep love and attachment to temporal pleasures of this Dunya; while neglecting preparation for death and events of the next world.
1. Arrogance behaviour and speech
2. Enjoying the company of those who are far from Allah .
3. Carrying out actions to get the admiration and praise of others
4. Having a hard heart with actions constantly evil, deceitful and corrupt
5. Spiritual demotivation [Your acts of worship become a burden and do not go beyond physical motions]
6. Turning away from what is beneficial and healing to the soul (e.g Quran and Tawheed) and instead embracing what is harmful and destructive (e.g shirk and innovation)
Purification of the soul checklist
- Incline yourself towards all that is beneficial and healing by reading the Quran often.
- Take yourself into account your thoughts, speech, and deeds.
- Seek beneficial knowledge and remain constant on that path.
- Remember death often and prepare yourself for the akhirah.
- Correct your intention for carrying out all permissible acts.
- Recite and reflect on the Quran daily.
- Keep the regular company of the righteous and pious.
- Have a deep longing to serve Allah and please Him in all matters.
- Do good, kind and compassionate deeds and shun all evil and corrupt deeds.
- Seek Allah’s forgiveness through the day and repent for wrong actions with your heart and tongue.
- Remember Allah through dhikr, reciting the Quran, praising Him, thanking Him, remembering His names and attributes.
The easiest thing to do to purify ourselves is to recite the Quran. With a Muslim reciting the holy book of the Quran, the stain in our hearts will always be clean. Do never a Muslim pray hastily to Allah Almighty. Please pray and request Allah Almighty with a heart that is sincere and in the best way possible. Allah Almighty is the Merciful, the Forgiving. Allah says:
قَدْ أَفْلَحَ مَن تَزَكَّىٰ وَذَكَرَ اسْمَ رَبِّهِ فَصَلَّىٰ
“He has succeeded who purifies himself, who remembers the name of his Lord and prays.” (Surah Al-A’la 87:14-15)
A Muslim can do and it can be recited anywhere. Recite dhikr when you are in a state of sadness or even in a happy condition. Truly dhikr can also purify ourselves from the stains of the ugliness of the heart. Free heart from all dependence, leave it to Allah Almighty and be assured that Allah Almighty will always be with us. Give ourselves to Him, believe only Allah Almighty, God in this entire universe. Allah says:
وَاصْبِرْ وَمَا صَبْرُكَ إِلَّا بِاللَّهِ وَلَا تَحْزَنْ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا تَكُ فِي ضَيْقٍ مِّمَّا يَمْكُرُونَ
“And be patient and not (is) your patience but from Allah. And (do) not grieve over them and (do) not be in distress for what they plot.” (Surah An-Nahl 16:127)
Being patient and having conviction in Allah: Patience defeats lust and steps between us and our sins. It also keeps us steadfast on acts of obedience so self-purification (expelling and adorning) cannot be attained except by patience. The weapon of the believer and the sanctuary of the human being to his Lord. It keeps us safe from all evils and it helps us to obey Allah.