Islam is a holistic way of life. Truth be told, all humans are born in a natural state of Islam, called the fitrah. It is the parents, or legal guardians, of the newborn who decides the path of religion that the helpless soul will be brought up to recognize as their faith. However, for many of those newborns brought up as non-Muslims, the fitrah will be a constant force that gently pulls and incessantly prods him or them to question their faith, search for answers and seek out the true religion of God. Allah says:
وَهَٰذَا صِرَاطُ رَبِّكَ مُسْتَقِيمًا قَدْ فَصَّلْنَا الْآيَاتِ لِقَوْمٍ يَذَّكَّرُونَ
“And this (is the) way (of) your Lord – straight. Certainly, We have detailed the Verses for a people who take heed.” (Surah Al-An’am 6:126)
Converting to Islam is to declare and testify that:
La ilaha il-Allah, Muhammad-ur-Rasulullah
“There is no God except Allah Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah”
Recitation with the understanding of the true meaning of this phrase is all that is required for Embracing Islam. By making this declaration and by accepting the obligations of Islamic Law, anyone can embrace Islam (become Muslim). Any person who sincerely believes that there is only One worthy of worship – Allah – the Creator of all that exists; and accepts that Prophet (Peace be upon him) was the last Messenger of Allah, is a Muslim. Allah says:
وَلِلَّهِ الْأَسْمَاءُ الْحُسْنَىٰ فَادْعُوهُ بِهَا وَذَرُوا الَّذِينَ يُلْحِدُونَ فِي أَسْمَائِهِ سَيُجْزَوْنَ مَا كَانُوا يَعْمَلُونَ
“And for Allah (are) the names – the most beautiful, so invoke Him by them. And leave those who deviate concerning His names. They will be recompensed for what they used to do.” (Surah Al-A’raf 7:180)
Embracing Islam gives us a complete way of life that requires submission to the Will of Allah and obedience to the laws of Allah alone as set down in the Holy Qur’an. Islam, in fact, is the direct relationship of a Muslim with Allah Almighty. If you are a non-Muslim considering the religion of Islam, then you know exactly what Islam speak. Allah says:
الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَتَطْمَئِنُّ قُلُوبُهُم بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ أَلَا بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ الْقُلُوبُ
“Those who believed and find satisfaction their hearts in the remembrance (of) Allah. No doubt, in the remembrance of Allah find satisfaction the hearts.” (Surah Ar-Ra’d 13:28)
You feel an insatiable pull to the religion of Islam, but are unsure of how to proceed or are perhaps worried about the changes that switching your faith might bring. There are countless reasons why someone should become a Muslim and here are just a few that will, Insha’Allah, illuminate your journey to Islam.
- Islam is the Faith of Equality and Justice for all. Allah says in the Holy Qur’an: “O you who believe, stand firmly for justice, as witnesses before Allah, even if it be against yourselves, or your parents or your (close) relatives, and whether (it be against) rich or poor. God can best protect both.” (The Qur’an, Surah 4:135)
- Islam’s emphasis on the importance of family life and social value is one of the key aspects that attract men and women from various cultural backgrounds, particularly those serious about true and traditional family values and moral teachings.
- Islam values the rights of women and declared Daughter is a blessing.
- As far as the Creator, you will be able to acquire peace, harmony, tranquillity, and happiness within yourself, with your family, with the people of the world, with the environment and with the universe. One has to remember that the source of peace is Allah, and one of his beautiful names is that He is the Peace.
- As a result, you will acquire a pleasant personality. You will be friendly and amicable. You would not need to drink alcohol, use drugs or get involved in vulgarity or immorality.
- Through the experience of fasting in Islam, you will be able to have self-control, self-restraint, self-discipline, self-education, self-evaluation, and self-obedience to Allah the Creator. You undoubtedly will be able to improve your health, personality, character, and behaviour.
- As a result, you will be able to control your lusts, selfishness, desires, greed, ego, and conceitedness.
- As a result, you will be generous and hospitable; you will try to purify yourself and your mistakes by sharing your happiness and your wealth with those who are less fortunate than you. Your rewards will be manifold, compounded daily until the Day of Judgment.
- In becoming a Muslim, you will do your best to stop all types of exploitations in all their forms: economic, biological, mental, spiritual, psychological, political, etc. You will also work to liberate people and give them freedom of worship, freedom of speech, and freedom of expression. You will be a leader and help lead people to peace, tranquillity, and happiness.
- In accepting Islam, you will help to reduce all types of social illnesses in society: juvenile delinquency, child abuse, domestic abuse, incest, homosexuality, sexual promiscuity, premarital relationships, extramarital relationships, and other vices.
- As a result, you will reduce and eliminate venereal diseases, Aids, and other diseases of similar nature in society.
لَّقَدْ أَنزَلْنَا آيَاتٍ مُّبَيِّنَاتٍ وَاللَّهُ يَهْدِي مَن يَشَاءُ إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ
“Verily, We have sent down Verses clear. And Allah guides whom He wills to a path straight.” (Surat An-Nur 24:46)
Finally, when you die, you will die at peace. You will have a happy life in the grave and later, eternal happiness. Angels at the time of death will comfort you. They will also show you your place in paradise. On the Day of Judgment, you will be able to see and meet all the prophets and messengers of God to mankind including Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad (PBUH). You will be able to see and meet any and all of your friends and relatives. You will live an eternal life of bliss in paradise. Allah says:
وَلَقَدْ أَرْسَلْنَا نُوحًا إِلَىٰ قَوْمِهِ فَلَبِثَ فِيهِمْ أَلْفَ سَنَةٍ إِلَّا خَمْسِينَ عَامًا فَأَخَذَهُمُ الطُّوفَانُ وَهُمْ ظَالِمُونَ
“And verily, We sent Nuh to his people, and he remained among them a thousand-year(s), save fifty-year(s), then seized them the flood, while they (were) wrongdoers.” (Surah Al-‘Ankabut 29:14)
Islam’s timeless and beautiful message is the same message of all Prophets, including Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad (peace be upon them all). They all called their people to “Submit to the One True God” which, in Arabic, means to become a “Muslim”. This submission to God enables one to fulfil the purpose of life by acknowledging the greatness of God and sincerely worshipping him alone. In doing so, one will acquire the countless benefits of Islam mentioned above.