Islam is the response to humanity’s search for meaning. Muslims believe that Almighty Allah is the only creator of this world and all other things which are present in this world. The purpose of life is to live and let live. The societal living is possible when there are communal harmony and feeling of brotherhood among its members. Peaceful coexistence is the key to a successful life. A true Muslim believes in this fact and knows about the momentary nature of worldly life. Allah says:
زُيِّنَ لِلنَّاسِ حُبُّ الشَّهَوَاتِ مِنَ النِّسَاءِ وَالْبَنِينَ وَالْقَنَاطِيرِ الْمُقَنطَرَةِ مِنَ الذَّهَبِ وَالْفِضَّةِ وَالْخَيْلِ الْمُسَوَّمَةِ وَالْأَنْعَامِ وَالْحَرْثِ ذَٰلِكَ مَتَاعُ الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَاللَّهُ عِندَهُ حُسْنُ الْمَآبِ
“Beautified for mankind (is) love (of) the (things they) desire of [the] women and [the] sons and [the] heaps [the] stored up of [the] gold and [the] silver, and [the] horses [the] branded, and [the] cattle and [the] tilled land. That (is) provision (of) life (of) the world but Allah – with Him (is an) excellent [the] abode to return.” (Surah Al-Imran 3:14)
Allah created man to serve Him, meaning that men should believe in the One Lord and do well. This is the main objective of human life. Quran which contains all the guidance related to the life of this world and the Hereafter too. If we want to know about the existence of this world and humankind then we have to understand through the Quran because all the answers are present in the Quran. We should fulfil this purpose of our life by following Allah’s commands given in the Quran. Allah says:
وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُعْجِبُكَ قَوْلُهُ فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَيُشْهِدُ اللَّهَ عَلَىٰ مَا فِي قَلْبِهِ وَهُوَ أَلَدُّ الْخِصَامِ
“And of the people (is the one) who pleases you (with) his speech in the life (of) the world, and he calls to witness Allah on what (is) in his heart, and he (is) the most quarrelsome (of) opponents.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:204)
We believe that there is only One Creator Who created us and we acknowledged Him, we all know that He created us (humankind) to serve Him. For believers and the devout, the aim is to become one with God Every human being seeks salvation after having led a full life. He searches for the sublime bliss and union with the Almighty as he fully believes that life is God’s gift to man and is only complete with the reunion with God.
The Basic Values of Islam, about the value of “Purpose of Life”:
- The purpose of life establish peace and justice in society
- The purpose of life commands love, mercy, and peace
- The purpose of life is to have a variety of experiences
- The purpose of life is to think you will be accountable
- The purpose of life means to know where you stand
- The purpose of life is to think you will return to God
- The purpose of life is to create your meaning
- The purpose of life is to leave a legacy
- The purpose of life is to love others
- The purpose of life is to be happy
- The purpose of life has infinite value for all
- The purpose of life has the sanctity of human life
- The purpose of life is to make a positive difference
- The purpose of life all human beings have One God
- The purpose of life considers all life forms as sacred
- The purpose of life has the dignity of all human being
- The purpose of life forbids to hateful words and actions
- The purpose of life has no schisms between human beings
- The purpose of life is misunderstood including some Muslims
- The purpose of life teaching shows that all innocent life is sacred
Allah didn’t create anything without purpose everything is created due to some reason and has some purpose in life. We as a Muslim have a clear perception in our mind that the creation o this world and humankind is to praise and worship of our Creator. This life is very meaningful and purposeful to the believing Muslim, as he realizes that it will determine if the outcome and permanent position in the next life. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اسْتَجِيبُوا لِلَّهِ وَلِلرَّسُولِ إِذَا دَعَاكُمْ لِمَا يُحْيِيكُمْ وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ يَحُولُ بَيْنَ الْمَرْءِ وَقَلْبِهِ وَأَنَّهُ إِلَيْهِ تُحْشَرُونَ
“O you who believe! Respond to Allah and His Messenger when he calls you to what gives you life. And know that Allah comes (in) between a man and his heart and that to Him you will be gathered.” (Surah Al-Anfal 8:24)
The purpose of life is to live mindfully and passionately in the present moment, to love unabashedly, to be a lifelong learner, to seek adventure and growth, and to spread kindness and peace along the way. The human being is captioned to be power-hungry, selfish and illusionistic. Islam is divine guidance wherein humans of all nations, colours and tongues feel linked to a Supreme Power and Justice.
Purpose of Life According to Islam
- Life is a Test: The purpose of life according to Islam and the Qur’an is “He who created death and life to test you as to which of you is best in deed-and He is the Almighty, the Oft-Forgiving.” (Al-Mulk 67:2)
- Life is Momentary: The life that is currently lived on this earth will not last forever. It is only a momentary thing. “O, my people! this life of the world is only a (passing) enjoyment, and surely the hereafter is the abode to settle.” (Al-Mu’Min 40:39)
- Life in Heaven Will be Better: That’s why it’s not good to only care about the materialistic things that exist in this life.
- Dutiful Worship: Purpose of life according to Islam and the Qur’an is for Muslims to always remember Allah. This can be done by carrying out all the dutiful worship.
- Deeply Study Islam: Not only are Muslims required to carry out the necessary duties according to Islam, but they must also study religion as a whole. Deeply studying Islam is better than only understanding it at surface level.
- Live According to the Rules of Islam: When a Muslim is willing to dedicate oneself to Allah, then they must live according to the rules of Islam.
- Life Motivation: If a Muslim doesn’t know what their life goal is then they could lose the motivation to carry on with life. They might potentially waste their years or live for the wrong reasons.
- Live Life in Kindness: A Muslim must always remember to be kind while living on Earth. Every living and non-living thing is Allah’s creations and one should try to be kind to them all.
إِنَّا نَحْنُ نُحْيِي وَنُمِيتُ وَإِلَيْنَا الْمَصِيرُ
“Indeed, We [We] [We] give life and [We] cause death, and to Us (is) the final return.” (Surah Qaf 50:43)
Muslims must always remain faithful by living by Islam and the Quran. There are four real problems in life, namely birth, old age, disease, and death. These problems of life can be solved by understanding the spiritual nature of the self. Allah created man to serve Him, meaning that men should believe in the One Lord and do well. This is the main objective of human life.
Quranic verses about our purpose in life, Allah says in the Holy Quran:
- “The life of this world is merely the enjoyment of delusion.” (Quran 3:185)
- “I have not created men except that they should serve Me.” (Quran, 51:56).
- “And the Hereafter is better for you than the first life.” (Surah Ad-Duhaa 93:4)
- “you have that day, nor for you will there be any denial.” (Surah Ash-Shura 42:47)
- “For them will be a home of peace in the presence of their Lord: He will be their friend because they practised (righteousness).” (Surah Al-Anam, 127)
- “Did you think that We had created you in play (without any purpose) and that you would not be brought back to Us?” (Quran 23:115)
- “O, my people! this life of the world is only a (passing) enjoyment, and surely the hereafter is the abode to settle.” (Surah Al-Mu’Min 40:39)
Human moral standards are universal and have been well-known to mankind throughout the ages. Good and evil are not myths to be hunted out. They are well- known realities and are equally well-understood by all. The sense of good and evil is inherent in the very nature of man. The Holy Quran in this regard is one of the best ways of knowing how a person can fulfil this purpose of pleasing Allah. Allah says:
وَقَالُوا مَا هِيَ إِلَّا حَيَاتُنَا الدُّنْيَا نَمُوتُ وَنَحْيَا وَمَا يُهْلِكُنَا إِلَّا الدَّهْرُ وَمَا لَهُم بِذَٰلِكَ مِنْ عِلْمٍ إِنْ هُمْ إِلَّا يَظُنُّونَ
“And they say, “Not it (is) but our life (of) the world, we die and we live, and not destroys us except the time.” And not for them of that any knowledge; not, they (do) but guess.” (Surah Al-Jathiyah 45:24)
God describes this life as a test, and people are tested in different ways. We cannot control what happens to us, but we can control how we react. Patience during adversities and gratitude for blessings is a means of getting closer to God and attaining eternal Paradise. We should fulfil this purpose in our life. We must come to know our Creator, Sustainer, and Ultimate Judge. May Allah guide us all to the right path and help us in earning good deeds and may He forgive our past sins.