“Paradise lies beneath the feet of mothers.”
A mother’s love is unmatched. Islam has empowered women more than any other religion and they have more rights than any man. A woman has a very key and important role when she becomes a mother. Since the mothers have a very valued and dignified role in Islam. Their contribution is acknowledged and applauded. In other words, gates of heaven are open for those who cherish and respect their mothers. Allah says:
فَرَدَدْنَاهُ إِلَىٰ أُمِّهِ كَيْ تَقَرَّ عَيْنُهَا وَلَا تَحْزَنَ وَلِتَعْلَمَ أَنَّ وَعْدَ اللَّهِ حَقٌّ وَلَٰكِنَّ أَكْثَرَهُمْ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
“So We restored him to his mother that might be comforted her eye, and not she may grieve and that she would know, that the Promise of Allah (is) true. But most of them (do) not know.” (Surah Al-Qasas 28:13)
The sacrifice our mother made is incredible. She was willing to give up her life for us, bearing the pain of labouring child, and later giving up her time to raise her children. The love of the mother towards the child is unmatchable. Whether the child is obedient or troublemaker, old or young, healthy or ill, the love remains the same for her child. Allah says:
وَاللَّهُ أَخْرَجَكُم مِّن بُطُونِ أُمَّهَاتِكُمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَ شَيْئًا وَجَعَلَ لَكُمُ السَّمْعَ وَالْأَبْصَارَ وَالْأَفْئِدَةَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ
“It is He Who brought you forth from the wombs of your mothers when ye knew nothing; and He gave you hearing and sight and intelligence and affections: that ye may give thanks (to Allah..” (Surah An-Nahl,16: 78)
The word mother is not only a word. It’s a blessing and a gift from Almighty Allah. It is the first word a baby utters, loves and calls out loud no matter it is a happy or sad moment of its life. Whatever the child observes from her, such as her housekeeping habits, her manners, her relationships with others, the way she spends money, and in general her lifestyle, will all undoubtedly affect the child’s character. Allah says:
وَوَصَّيْنَا الْإِنسَانَ بِوَالِدَيْهِ حَمَلَتْهُ أُمُّهُ وَهْنًا عَلَىٰ وَهْنٍ وَفِصَالُهُ فِي عَامَيْنِ أَنِ اشْكُرْ لِي وَلِوَالِدَيْكَ إِلَيَّ الْمَصِيرُ
“And We have enjoined (upon) man for his parents – carried him his mother (in) weakness upon weakness, and his weaning (is) in two years that “Be grateful to Me and your parents; towards Me (is) the destination.” (Surah Luqman 31:14)
A mother is said to be better than a hundred teachers. Her emotional strengths and weaknesses are an example for the child and will be followed for many years to come even though all of them may not be worthy.
The following are some of the things which make Mother so unique in Islam:
- Mother is the highest and the most unselfish form of love
- Mother is the property of a bud to bloom into a flower
- Mothers are the emotional backbones of the family
- Mother makes every effort to make her child happy
- Mother’s status is much higher than the father`
- Mother is the most beautiful creation of God
- Mother possess tender love for her children
- Mother is the one who supports our dreams
- Mother, a window of the child to the world
- Mother has an awareness of responsibility
- Mother has a deep love for her children
- Mother always sacrifice and dedication
- Mother has more rights than the father
- Mother keep protection and security
- Mother is a model for the child
- Mother is a career of future
- Mother worked hard and made sacrifices
- Mother taught you to be a functioning adult
- Mother do their best to keep us from being hurt
- Mothers have the magic touch and heal wounds
- Mother’s smile makes your day a whole lot better
- Mother is the property of the sweet smell of a flower
- Mother encourages children according to their potential
- Mother provides the holding place for everyone’s feelings
- Mother-child relationship, cannot stand comparison with any other
A mother loves her baby without any condition, bears pain with a smile and sacrifices everything without any complaint. When the children grow up, it’s their responsibility to be kind to their parents, especially to their mother. A mother gives up a great deal for the sake of the child. She gives up her time, her sleep, her pleasures, etc. to ensure that the child is all right. Allah says:
وَبَرًّا بِوَالِدَتِي وَلَمْ يَجْعَلْنِي جَبَّارًا شَقِيًّا
“And dutiful to my mother, and not He (has) made me insolent, unblessed.” (Surah Maryam 19:32)
Mothers are held in very high esteem in religion Islam. Islam gives mothers a status greater than that can be found in any other religion in the world. Mother is a blessing and a gift from Almighty Allah. The first word a baby utters is Mother in love and calls out loud no matter it is a happy or sad moment of its life.
Allah Almighty says in The Holy Quran:
- “Be grateful to Me and both your parents.” (Quran 31:14)
- “And he’s carrying and his weaning is in thirty months.” (Quran 46:15)
- “Behold! We sent to thy mother, by inspiration, the message.” (Surah Ta-Ha, 38)
- “We have enjoined on man kindness to his parents; in pain did his mother bear him, and in pain did she give him birth.” (Quran, 46:15)
- “And verily, it is in the mother of the Book, in Our Presence, high (in dignity), full of wisdom.” (Surah Az-Zukhruf, 4)
- “O sister of Aaron! Thy father was not a man of evil, nor thy mother a woman unchaste!” (Surah Maryam, 28)
- “(He) hath made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable.” (Surah Maryam, 32)
- “And (made me) dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me a wretched tyrant.” (Quran 19:32)
The importance of mothers in Islam, and life, in general, is very high. Her role irreplaceable and nobody will be able to love as much as our mother does. A good mother has outstanding qualities. No one can replace her in the life of her children.
ROLE OF THE MOTHERS IN ISLAM
- Respect in the world: A mother has great respect in her entire family. She is to be obeyed. “It is one of the greatest sins that a man should curse his parents.”
- A window of the child to the world: When a baby is born, he is unaware of the outside world. The mother plays an important part in introducing him to the world.
- Model for the child: Since the mother is the most important person in the life of a child, she is greatly revered. Her habits and behaviour become a model for the child.
- Awareness of responsibility: Motherhood is a career, and those who take it up must try and excel at it. Every mother must look into better techniques and strategies of parenting.
- Setting clear goals: A mother has to know what she expects from her children, and then explain that to them. It is not enough to want good children.
A good mother places the needs of the child, both physical and emotional needs, first. This is an important point to keep in mind, especially in these modern times. Women today are deluded by society into making their careers and jobs more important than their homes. The home will always remain a woman’s most valuable work and that may require all types of sacrifices. It is not a sacrifice but is an investment that will reap great dividends.
The following are some of the things which make her so unique:
- She helps broaden: The choice of possible tactics in dealing with children.
- Encourage children: Each child comes with his distinctive potential.
- A deep love for her children: A mother’s love is unmatched. Whether young or old, healthy or handicapped, troublesome or obedient, the child is still beloved to the mother.
- Sacrifice and dedication: A mother gives up a great deal for the sake of the child. She gives up her time, her sleep, her pleasures, etc. to ensure that the child is all right.
- Protection and security: A mother always tries to safeguard the child from danger and difficulties. However, some mothers tend to be overprotective.
وَإِنَّهُ فِي أُمِّ الْكِتَابِ لَدَيْنَا لَعَلِيٌّ حَكِيمٌ
“And indeed, it (is) in (the) Mother (of) the Book with Us, surely exalted, full of wisdom.” (Surah Az-Zukhruf 43:4)
Islam respects the relation of a mother and what is the role of the mothers in the upbringing of the child. The mothers can either give a better future to the child or damage it. So if we sum up the whole topic we understand, the mothers are the guardian of the whole family at home. However, it is the utmost duty of every child to respect their mothers. Allah says:
وَوَصَّيْنَا الْإِنسَانَ بِوَالِدَيْهِ حُسْنًا وَإِن جَاهَدَاكَ لِتُشْرِكَ بِي مَا لَيْسَ لَكَ بِهِ عِلْمٌ فَلَا تُطِعْهُمَا إِلَيَّ مَرْجِعُكُمْ فَأُنَبِّئُكُم بِمَا كُنتُمْ تَعْمَلُونَ
“We have enjoined on man and woman kindness to parents; but if they (either of them) strive (to force) thee to join with Me anything of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not.” (Surah Al-Ankabut, 29:8)
Always show gratitude towards your mother. Be kind to your mother and never express annoyance even if she is doing something annoying. Do not repel her, speak softly and pray for her. May Allah Almighty give us the ability to understand and obey His command! Ameen