Hardship is an opportunity to advance in our spiritual relationship with Allah. We often fail to remember that blessings always come out of hardships. Allah has put humans into this world to test them. Allah tests us with hardship and also prosperity to validate the sincerity of our faith. Allah has given you an opportunity because Allah loves you and wants the best for you. Allah says:
وَمَا أَرْسَلْنَا فِي قَرْيَةٍ مِّن نَّبِيٍّ إِلَّا أَخَذْنَا أَهْلَهَا بِالْبَأْسَاءِ وَالضَّرَّاءِ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَضَّرَّعُونَ
“And not We sent in a city any Prophet except We seized its people with adversity and hardship, so that they may (become) humble.” (Surah Al-Araf, 7:94)
Difficult times are part of Allah’s laws in this universe; they are part of the tests that people go through. A difficulty we go through, on the contrary, could be a learning experience, a reminder, purification from sins and mistakes, a test of patience and perseverance, or all of these together. We only need to believe and turn to HIM, Believe and have faith, Believe and earn rewards and the Love of Allah. Allah says:
وَلَنَبْلُوَنَّكُمْ بِشَيْءٍ مِّنَ ٱلْخَوْفِ وَٱلْجُوعِ وَنَقْصٍ مِّنَ ٱلأَمَوَالِ وَٱلأَنفُسِ وَٱلثَّمَرَاتِ وَبَشِّرِ ٱلصَّابِرِينَ
“Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:155)
Hardships and calamities are experienced by everyone and it can sometimes be very hard to respond to these calamities when they strike. It may be common for many to lose hope. Reconnecting with the Deen can help in many ways to instil positivity and hope. In a certain situation as a Muslim not expected to lose hope in the mercy and blessing of your Lord, regardless of the situation, you find yourself.
Understanding the following will help us better approach, deal with and ultimately benefit from Hardships:
- Hardships going through suffering draws us closer to Allah
- Hardship is an admonition for the negligent and a warning
- Hardships are a reminder of Allah’s favours upon mankind
- Hardships are lessened people’s attachment to the Dunya
- Hardships going through difficulties Allah give us trials
- Hardships going through suffering makes us normal
- Hardship is a trial to visualize this world in this light
- Hardships strengthen the personality of the believer
- Hardships are a God’s design to subject people
- Hardship is an establishment of Allah’s proof
- Hardship is a reminder for people
- Hardship can be a blessing in disguise
- Hardship change the condition of a people
- Hardship and adversity is also decreed by God
- Hardships cognizant Allah strengthen his character
- Hardship is also a very effective reminder for people
- Hardships unveil by sieving out the good from the bad
- Hardships in various capacities go through difficulties in life
- Hardships bring faithful believers into a deeper understanding
- Hardships afflict the people, they call upon their Lord in total devotion
وَإِن يَمْسَسْكَ اللَّهُ بِضُرٍّ فَلَا كَاشِفَ لَهُ إِلَّا هُوَ وَإِن يَمْسَسْكَ بِخَيْرٍ فَهُوَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ
“And if Allah touches you with affliction then no remover of it except Him. And if He touches you with good, then He (is) on everything All-Powerful.” (Surah Al Anam, 6:17)
The world will run as Allah wills it to, there is no point in worrying about what comes as difficult. One must understand that this world is run by Allah. That one has no control over anything. All that happens is by the will of Allah, you have no power to steer it your way. Allah says:
مَنْ عَمِلَ صَالِحًا مِّن ذَكَرٍ أَوْ أُنثَىٰ وَهُوَ مُؤْمِنٌ فَلَنُحْيِيَنَّهُ حَيَاةً طَيِّبَةً وَلَنَجْزِيَنَّهُمْ أَجْرَهُم بِأَحْسَنِ مَا كَانُوا يَعْمَلُونَ
“Whoever does righteous deeds whether male or female while he (is) a believer, then surely We will give him a life good, and We will pay them their reward to (the) best of what they used (to) do.” (Surah Al-Nahl, 16:97)
We can emerge from difficult times closer to Allah, stronger, united, more skilled, and more guided, but only if we know how to live through them and respond to them. When a man goes through a difficulty or faces a hardship, he sometimes loses hope, complains or blames those around him. Allah says:
مَا أَصَابَ مِن مُّصِيبَةٍ إِلَّا بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ وَمَن يُؤْمِن بِاللَّهِ يَهْدِ قَلْبَهُ وَاللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ
“Not strikes any disaster except by (the) permission (of) Allah. And whoever believes in Allah, He guides his heart. And Allah of everything (is) All-Knowing.” (Surah At-Taghabun 64:11)
As we are aware, this world is a place of the test. And being so all that is in it is a test. It will last for only so long and then Allah will make it better. No hardship is without purpose, no suffering is without reward. Helping others is one of the best ways to bring positivity into your life.
- Read the Quran. This Quran is so beautiful that no matter what difficulties you face, you’ll find solace in it.
- You may hate a thing that is good for you: Give lots of charity, as much as you can. It helps push away hardship.
- If you believe you will be tested: When Allah loves a people, He tests them, and whoever accepts it attains His pleasure, whereas whoever shows discontent with it incurs His wrath.
- Allah never burdens a soul beyond what it can bear: Our faith is in to improve and turn towards Allah.
- If Allah desires good for someone he faces hardship: Knowing there are rewards to benefit from in the end should be a motivation to be positive during turbulent times.
- Allah does not change your condition until you change: Allah is the only one who can turn things around for you better.
- Allah tests the believer: The test will be held for all persons, believers and non‑believers alike. Test presupposes that the man is not predestined to go to Paradise or Hell.
- Rely On Allah Only: Take this adversity as an opportunity to get closer to Allah.
- Kindness In Character: However, if we look at it as something coming from Allah, He is Most Merciful and kind.
- Supplicate To Allah: Remind yourself of all the blessings you have and talk about these things with the ones who are closest to you.
- Don’t reject it, accept it: Knowing that this suffering chose you specifically over many others requires some contemplation. It was meant to be, and nothing that is meant to be is haphazard, on the contrary, there is always a good reason for it.
- Don’t look at how it is affecting you: If we look at emotional suffering in and of itself, it will be very hard to deal with.
- Hardship is Not Lost. Remember, Allah will never forget the injustice/hardship you faced, so don’t worry about seeking revenge or trying to get justice.
الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَتَطْمَئِنُّ قُلُوبُهُم بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ أَلَا بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ الْقُلُوبُ
“Those who believed and find satisfaction their hearts in the remembrance (of) Allah. No doubt, in the remembrance of Allah find satisfaction the hearts.” (Surah Ar-Ra ’d, 13:28)
Going through distress and calamity should not mean sleepless nights and being miserable. A great deal of negativity can occur when not take care of yourself properly. Keep some time out for yourself just to reflect and have peace of mind.
Here are some Verses to get us through hardship:
- “Verily, with every difficulty, there is a relief.” (Al-Inshirah, 6)
- “God does not burden any soul with more than it can bear.” (Quran 2:286)
- “Do people think they will be left alone and they will not be tried?..” (Quran 29:2)
- “Before thee, We sent (apostles) to many nations, and We afflicted the nations with suffering and adversity, that they might learn humility.” (Surah Al-Anam, 42)
- “Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. Allah is free of all wants, and He is Most-Forbearing.” (Quran 2:263)
- “God does not change the condition of a people unless they change what is in themselves.” (Quran 13:11)
When Allah loves a people, He tests them, and whoever accepts it attains His pleasure, whereas whoever shows discontent with it incurs His wrath. Helping others is one of the best ways to bring positivity into your life. Take this adversity as an opportunity to get closer to Allah. Allah says:
وَيَرْزُقْهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا يَحْتَسِبُ وَمَن يَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ فَهُوَ حَسْبُهُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ بَالِغُ أَمْرِهِ قَدْ جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدْرًا
“And He will provide for him from where not he thinks. And whoever puts his trust upon Allah, then He (is) sufficient for him. Indeed, Allah (will) accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allah has set for everything a measure.” (Surah At-Talaq 65:3)
Hardships and calamities are experienced by everyone and it can sometimes be very hard to respond to these calamities when they strike. The test which we are to undergo is not meant to add to the knowledge of God. Although God knows everything, it still is necessary that all men and women be put to test so that the true form of God’s justice.