Islam is a religion for the society, therefore, it expects from its followers to develop a society where every individual work towards helping and taking care of each other and where the rule of goodness prevails. Having good character and performing good deeds is very important in religion Islam that every Muslim must perform for pleasing Almighty Allah. Doing a deed and doing the deed with good intention are separate things. Allah says:
وَيَزِيدُ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ اهْتَدَوْا هُدًى وَالْبَاقِيَاتُ الصَّالِحَاتُ خَيْرٌ عِندَ رَبِّكَ ثَوَابًا وَخَيْرٌ مَّرَدًّا
“And Allah increases those who accept guidance, (in) guidance. And the everlasting good deeds (are) better near your Lord (for) reward and better (for) return.” (Surah Maryam 19:76)
In Islam, good deeds become one of the most important aspects. Good deeds have many forms: helping people, doing charity, fulfilling the obligation toward God. Those things represent the real image of our religion, Islam, in the most perfect way. Allah says:
مَنْ عَمِلَ صَالِحًا مِّن ذَكَرٍ أَوْ أُنثَىٰ وَهُوَ مُؤْمِنٌ فَلَنُحْيِيَنَّهُ حَيَاةً طَيِّبَةً وَلَنَجْزِيَنَّهُمْ أَجْرَهُم بِأَحْسَنِ مَا كَانُوا يَعْمَلُونَ
“Whoever does righteous deeds whether male or female while he (is) a believer, then surely We will give him a life good, and We will pay them their reward to (the) best of what they used (to) do.” (Surah An-Nahl 16:97)
Every good word, beautiful deed and perfect morals towards relatives and strangers. Be keen on the goodness to people through teaching knowledge, enjoining good such as maintaining ties of kinship, dutifulness to parents, reconciling people, offering some useful advice or right opinion, cooperation in righteousness and piety, and forbidding evil or guiding to obtain an interest, whether religious or worldly.
Here are some benefits of good deeds in Islam which don’t require a lot of effort:
- Good deeds serve as a divine guard against the trials
- Good deeds remove the fear of failure in our chores
- Good deeds follow up a bad deed with a good one
- Good deeds activate derive the pleasure of Allah
- Good deeds encourage goodness and forbid evil
- Good deeds are the fruit of doing good actions
- Good deeds set goals based on your definition
- Good deeds strive for the pleasure of Allah
- Good deeds avoiding that which is wrong
- Good deeds remove the fear of enraging
- Good deeds control of worldly desires
- Good deeds indulge in all sorts of vices
- Good deeds to obtain blessings of Allah
- Good deeds keep away to lying and deceit
- Good deeds are always better to make note
- Good deeds find inspiration and motivation
- Good deeds Seek the companionship of others
- Good deeds mean to cleanse or purify the heart
- Good deeds practising towards worship of Allah
- Good deeds create habits surrounding your goals
- Good deeds find points which have no relevance to real life
In all reality, God created us and in turn, He knows what’s best for us and those who do not know these truths feel they may lead happier and more comfortable lives when the limits are removed. A reading of the Quran with understanding is what is required from Muslims. Every verse of the Quran is a pearl and that pearl is unique in every aspect. Allah says:
آمِنُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَأَنفِقُوا مِمَّا جَعَلَكُم مُّسْتَخْلَفِينَ فِيهِ فَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مِنكُمْ وَأَنفَقُوا لَهُمْ أَجْرٌ كَبِيرٌ
“Believe in Allah and His apostle, and spend (in charity) out of the (substance) whereof He has made you heirs. For, those of you who believe and spend (in charity),- for them is a great Reward.” (Surah Al-Hadid, 57:7)
In Islam, anyone can give Sadaqah because it is a charity given out as a gesture of generosity, love, compassion, camaraderie. It defines no limit as to how much you are willing to give. Principally, this Islamic act of charity is given largely to the needy, poor, disabled, homeless, deprived, and those who are widowed as well. Allah says:
Verse’s from the Holy Quran referring to the Believers who do good deeds:
- “Lower your voice and talk moderately.” (Quran 31:19)
- “Don’t let hatred cause you to be unjust.” (Quran 6:108)
- “Don’t ask too many favours from people.” (Quran 2:273)
- “And establish worship for My Remembrance.” (Quran 20:14)
- “Preach to others in a good and wise manner.” (Quran 16:125)
- “And Allah does not guide the wrongdoing people.” (Quran 3:86).
- “Whosoever does a good deed, it is for his self…’‘ (Quran 45:15)
- “So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it.” (Quran 99:7)
Thus, if Muslim wishes to achieve success, he or she needs to be steadfast in whatever activity they undertake and whatever kind of work they do daily. Being a Muslim it is the primary duty to be good and strives for spreading goodness. When there is goodness all around, the ultimate result is a success for all. Allah says:
وَالَّذِينَ جَاهَدُوا فِينَا لَنَهْدِيَنَّهُمْ سُبُلَنَا وَإِنَّ اللَّهَ لَمَعَ الْمُحْسِنِينَ
“And those who strive for Us, We will surely, guide them (to) Our ways. And indeed, Allah surely (is) with the good-doers.” (Surah Al-Ankabut, 29:69)
Doing a deed and doing the deed with good intentions are separate things. The intention that doing this deed will reward a Muslim with virtues and help to attain the mercy of Allah in this world and afterwards then this surely is a base that Allah will accept the deed and will reward accordingly. Allah says:
وَاتْلُ مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِن كِتَابِ رَبِّكَ لَا مُبَدِّلَ لِكَلِمَاتِهِ وَلَن تَجِدَ مِن دُونِهِ مُلْتَحَدًا
”And recite what has been revealed to you of the Book (of) your Lord. None can change His Words and never you will find besides Him a refuge.” (Surah Kahf 18: 27)
There is no better an ally than Allah Almighty, therefore, it is natural and perhaps the most logical thing to rely on Allah only. The focus of the life of a Muslim should be to move towards Allah, but it does not mean that human contacts or the importance of humans in life should be undermined in any way.
A Muslim must do every day to ensure a better and happier life:
- Reading and reciting the Quran: Reading the Quran will be credited with a good deed, and a good deed gets a tenfold reward. So by reciting Quran daily helps us to understand the words of Allah with great rewards daily.
- Praying In Mosque: The benefit of going to the mosque to offer prayer in congregation is clear. Muslims meet in congregation five times a day.
- Helping Others: Islam is a great proponent of people making the lives of each other easier. It commands its followers to work towards making the lives of other people easier.
- Ask for Forgiveness Every day: In our daily life routine, we commit sins willingly or unwillingly which leads to Allah’s displeasure at times. At the end of the day, the best practice is to ask for Allah’s forgiveness and to ask for protection from Satan.
- Remembrance of Death: One thing which might be useful in achieving a heart’s presence is -remembrance of death.
- Strengthening of Faith: Man’s attention towards God-Almighty depends in proportion to his knowledge and enlightenment relative to Him.
- Quran Recitation: Whoever recites Quran daily will surely earn great reward from Almighty Allah.
- Be Thankful to Allah: The purpose of human creation is to worship Allah and be thankful to Him for what He has commenced upon us. Thanking Allah is a simple way to worshipping the Exalted Lord.
A Muslim must try to help other Muslims in your daily routine, whether it is carrying the luggage of someone upstairs, or helping an elderly cross the road. All these acts of kindness carry their reward which a Muslim must capitalize upon on a daily bases. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُلُوا مِن طَيِّبَاتِ مَا رَزَقْنَاكُمْ وَاشْكُرُوا لِلَّهِ إِن كُنتُمْ إِيَّاهُ تَعْبُدُونَ
“O you who believe[d]! Eat from (the) good (of) what We have provided you and be grateful to Allah if you alone worship Him.” (Surah Al-Baqarah, 2:172)
In Islam Quran is the word of God, therefore, whenever there is guidance required, Muslims rely on it and consider it the ultimate Guide that would show them the right path and resolve their dilemma. The reason why Muslims no longer enjoy the glory in the world which they used to do is the fact that they have limited the use of Quran as a means of recitation for reward only and have left pondering over its meanings. Allah says:
إِنَّ هَٰذَا الْقُرْآنَ يَهْدِي لِلَّتِي هِيَ أَقْوَمُ وَيُبَشِّرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ الَّذِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ الصَّالِحَاتِ أَنَّ لَهُمْ أَجْرًا كَبِيرًا
“Indeed, this, the Quran, guides to that which (is) most straight and gives glad tidings to the believers – those who do the righteous deeds, that for them (is) a reward great.” (Surah Al-Isra` 17:9)
Try to do urgency in performing good deeds because life is all about spreading happiness, do good, and have good. May Allah encourage all Muslims to give as much Sadaqah as humanly possible for the betterment of the Muslim Ummah. May we always be able to please Allah SWT. Amin