Daughters are a great blessing because Allah has promised a place in paradise (Jannah) on bringing them up. The one who has 3 daughters or sisters, or 2 daughters or sisters and he brings them up properly and fears Allah regarding their rights, then Paradise is made mandatory for him. Daughters are without a doubt a great blessing from Almighty Allah. They are a means of salvation and a path to Jannah (Heaven) for their parents. The crux of one narration states that. Allah says:
وَإِذَا بُشِّرَ أَحَدُهُم بِالْأُنثَىٰ ظَلَّ وَجْهُهُ مُسْوَدًّا وَهُوَ كَظِيمٌ
“And when is given good news (to) one of them of a female, turns his face dark and he suppresses grief.” (Surah An-Nahl 16:58)
Children are no doubt a great gift from Allah to all parents. Parents must think of their children as such treasures that all the wealth and material resources are worthless when compared to one’s children. We, as parents, should thank and be grateful to Allah for blessing us with children whether they are boys or girls. Daughters are a gift from Almighty Allah. Allah says:
أَتَىٰ أَمْرُ اللَّهِ فَلَا تَسْتَعْجِلُوهُ سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَىٰ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ
“Will come (the) command of Allah so (do) not (be) impatient for it. Glorified is He and Exalted (is) He above what they associate.” (Surah An-Nahl 16:1)
Rights and responsibilities of Daughters In Islam:
- Daughters are responsible to carry on the next generation
- Daughters are the reason for the existence of humanity
- Daughter is a Shield for Her Parents
- Daughters Bring Double Blessings
- Daughters are Great Blessings
- Heaven’s are Mandatory for the parents
- A Daughter Distanced Her Parents from Hell
- Raising a Daughter Well Guaranteed Paradise
- Jannah is Compulsory for a Daughter’s Parents
- A Daughter’s Father is Close to Muhammad SAW
- Whoever has a daughter will be distanced from Hell
- A daughter is a gift given by Allah SWT directly to her parents
- The Blessing is the Same Regardless of the Number of Daughters
- A daughter brings her parents closer to Allah SWT and His Messenger (SAW)
- Rejoicing the birth of a daughter is greater than making seven times Tawaaf around Kaaba
- A man with many daughters is similar to Prophet Muhammad (SAW), whose children are mostly daughters
- Allah SWT is merciful towards them who are merciful to their daughters
- Whoever generous towards their daughter, Allah SWT is generous to them as well
- Parents who are kind and generous towards their daughter is close to Prophet Muhammad (SAW) more than anybody else
- A man who faces hardships with his daughter and makes Sabr out of it will be shielded from the Hell of fire
Daughters are the blessing of Allah Almighty. Before the advent of Islam, girls were treated very badly in Arab society. The Father of a daughter used to feel shame when a girl was born to him. Arab society used to bury girls alive to get rid of the shame. At the time of darkness when people used to treat girls very badly, Allah says:
وَلَا تَقْتُلُوا أَوْلَادَكُمْ خَشْيَةَ إِمْلَاقٍ نَّحْنُ نَرْزُقُهُمْ وَإِيَّاكُمْ إِنَّ قَتْلَهُمْ كَانَ خِطْئًا كَبِيرًا
“And (do) not kill your children (for) fear (of) poverty. We (We) provide for them and you. Indeed, their killing is a sin great.” (Surah Al-Isra` 17:31 )
Islam came and gave rights to women, sisters, daughters, wives and especially to little girls who were affected badly. Allah says:
قَدْ خَسِرَ الَّذِينَ قَتَلُوا أَوْلَادَهُمْ سَفَهًا بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَحَرَّمُوا مَا رَزَقَهُمُ اللَّهُ افْتِرَاءً عَلَى اللَّهِ قَدْ ضَلُّوا وَمَا كَانُوا مُهْتَدِينَ
“Certainly, (are) lost those who killed their children (in) foolishness without the knowledge and forbid what Allah has provided them – inventing (lies) against Allah. Certainly, they have gone astray and not they are guided-ones.” (Surah Al-An`am 6:140)
Rights and Duties of Daughters
Islam came into being and granted rights to women as a daughter, sisters, and wives. Islam also created some responsibilities for them which are mentioned below:
- She must keep the dignity of herself.
- She has to take care of her family.
- She has to be loyal to her husband after getting married.
- She has to be within limits when it’s a matter of Na-mahram.
- They have the right to their father’s property. Her share is half of her brother’s share in the property.
- She has a right to Khula if she is not satisfied with her marriage and husband.
- Islam gave them the right to receive love and best maintenance from parents, brothers, and husbands.
- Islam gave her the right to speak and express her views and ideas in front of the public.
- The daughter has a responsibility or duty to cover herself properly to live safely in society.
- Islam gave equal rights to women as men and describe that there is no discrimination against them.
- Islam gave them rights to education. They can get an education just like men and can also work for their families.
- A daughter always belongs to the paternal family. Marriage does not break this bond. The Islamic social order makes detailed arrangements for fair treatment of the daughter.
- Taking care of them, educating them, liberating them and training them for tomorrow and better life all come under the responsibility of parents to their daughters.
- They have the right to choose their husband. The father is not allowed to oblige her to marry a certain person without her wish.
- Anas (RA) reported that the Prophet (SAW) said: “He who raises two daughters until their puberty will be with me in Paradise like this” and he symbolized the proximity by showing two of his fingers with a slight gap between them.” (Muslim)
وَإِذَا الْمَوْءُودَةُ سُئِلَتْ
“And when the female infant buried alive is asked.” (Surah At-Takwir 81:8)
When a family has daughters, it doesn’t matter how many did they have. The blessing for the parents from Allah SWT is the same. Even if a Muslim has only one daughter, he will enter Jannah along with a Muslim having two or three daughters. If someone raises his daughter well until she got married, Allah SWT makes Jannah compulsory for him. The obligation of parents will end once the daughter got married. Allah says:
“To Allah belong the dominion of the heavens and the earth; He creates what He wills. He gives to whom He wills female [children], and He gives to whom He wills males. Or He makes them [both] males and females, and He renders whom He wills barren. Indeed, He is Knowing and Competent” (Quran, 49:50)
Having a daughter is a great blessing for the afterlife, as not only Jannah is guaranteed but the parents also distanced from the Hellfire ever since the day she was born. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) once said that when a daughter is born, she creates a five hundred years distance between her parents and Hell. May Allah protect all our daughters and sister and blessed them with all the happiness of the world. Ameen!