Taqwa is the fearing of Allah when a person fears Almighty Allah then he will not commit sins. Taqwa incorporates consciousness and fear of Allah as well as piety. Piety is the righteousness that can be only obtained by the obedience of Almighty Allah and refraining from His prohibitions. Taqwa is the greatest and the best investment, which a true believer can make. Allah says:
فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا ۚ فِطْرَتَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا ۚ لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ وَلَٰكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
“Direct your face toward the religion inclining to truth. Adhere to the nature of Allah upon which he has created all people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah. That is the correct religion, but most people do not know.” (Surah Al-Rūm 30:30)
Taqwa is the key to happiness and success in this life and the hereafter too. Taqwa acts as a channel through which Muslims relate to one another in society and also a medium to link their actions. Allah granted us and all things that Allah created and subjected for us are to help us achieve righteousness. The obeying of the great Lord is not confined to only fulfilling religious actions, but being moral in every aspect of life. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُونُوا قَوَّامِينَ لِلَّهِ شُهَدَاءَ بِالْقِسْطِ وَلَا يَجْرِمَنَّكُمْ شَنَآنُ قَوْمٍ عَلَىٰ أَلَّا تَعْدِلُوا اعْدِلُوا هُوَ أَقْرَبُ لِلتَّقْوَىٰ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ
“O you who believe! Be steadfast for Allah (as) witnesses in justice, and let not prevent you hatred (of) a people [upon] that not you do justice. Be just it (is) nearer to [the] piety. And consciously revere Allah; indeed, Allah (is) All-Aware of what you do.” (Surah Al-Ma`idah 5:8)
Taqwa acts as a channel through which Muslims relate to each other in society and also a way to connect their actions. He, Who pardons our sins each time we pray to Him, indicates His loving nature. It is about having Lord Consciousness in terms of knowing and obeying all His orders including not only fearing Him but also acting in all His directions. Allah says:
فَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ مَا اسْتَطَعْتُمْ وَاسْمَعُوا وَأَطِيعُوا وَأَنفِقُوا خَيْرًا لِّأَنفُسِكُمْ ۗ وَمَن يُوقَ شُحَّ نَفْسِهِ فَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الْمُفْلِحُونَ
“Fear Allah as much as you are able and listen and obey and spend in charity, for it is better for yourselves. Whoever is protected from the stinginess of his soul, it is those who will be successful.” (Surah Ah-Taghabun 64:16)
A Muslim`s character indicates that Taqwa means a lot more than just piousness: it is the combination of our beliefs, self-awareness, and attitudes. It is a reminder to stay on the path of uprightness, decency and knowing the difference between right and wrong. Allah says:
إِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الَّذِينَ اتَّقَوا وَّالَّذِينَ هُم مُّحْسِنُونَ
“Indeed, Allah (is) with those who consciously revere (Him) and those who [they] (are) good-doers.” (Surah An-Nahl 16:128)
Taqwa means a lot more than just piousness: it is the combination of our beliefs, self-awareness, and attitudes. It is a reminder to stay on the path of uprightness, decency and knowing the difference between right and wrong. The lack of complaint in times of hardships teaches us to accomplish our religious duty to rely only on Allah, Who has promised His help for the patient ones. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ حَقَّ تُقَاتِهِ وَلَا تَمُوتُنَّ إِلَّا وَأَنتُم مُّسْلِمُونَ
“O you who believe, fear Allah as it is His right to be feared and do not die except while you are Muslims.” (Surah Al Imran 3:102)
It is a common misconception that only Muslims have this quality, which is not true, instead, if a non-Muslim is doing good deeds, they also have this feature in their personality. It is about having God-consciousness in terms of knowing and obeying all His orders including not only fearing Him but also acting on all His directions.
Benefits of Taqwa:
- With taqwa, we can achieve Allah’s love. He says: “Nay, whoever fulfils his pledge and fears Allah much; verily, then Allah loves those who are Al-Muttaqun” (Al-‘Imran 3:76).
- It is the source of drawing close to Allah and obtaining His Mercy. He says: “And My Mercy embraces all things. That (Mercy) I shall ordain for those who are the Muttaqun”(Al-Araf 7:156).
- For those who practice righteousness, Allah takes care of them, gives them support and helps them to prevail over their enemies and opponents. He says: “Truly, Allah is with those who fear Him (keep their duty unto Him), and those who are Muhsinun (good-doers). (An-Nahl 16:128). And He says: “And fear Allah, and know that Allah is with Al-Muttaqun (the pious).” (Al-Baqarah 2:194).
- Whosoever has taqwa and becomes righteous; there will be no fear upon him and he shall not grieve. Allah says: “Then whosoever becomes pious and righteous, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.” (Al-Araf 7:35).
- With taqwa, the servants of Allah will attain high ranks, degrees, and status on the Day of Resurrection. Allah says: “Beautified is the life of this world for those who disbelieve, and they mock at those who believe. But those who have taqwa will be above them on the Day of Resurrection.” (Al-Baqarah 2:212).
- The reward of those who have piousness is better than all the joys of this world. Allah says: “Say: “Shall I inform you of things far better than those? For Al-Muttaqun there are Gardens (Paradise) with their Lord, underneath which rivers flow. Therein (is their) eternal (home) and Azwajun Mutahharatun (purified mates or wives) [i.e. they will have no menses, urine, or stool, etc.], And Allah will be pleased with them. And Allah is All-Seer of the (His) slaves” (Al-‘Imran 3:15).
- Every pious and God-fearing person is a friend of Allah and he will receive great rewards and glad tidings in both worlds. He says: “Those who believed (in the Oneness of Allah – Islamic Monotheism) and used to fear Allah much (by abstaining from evil deeds and sins and by doing righteous deeds). For them are glad tidings, in the life of the present world (i.e. righteous dream seen by the person himself or shown to others), and in the Hereafter.” (Yunus 10:63, 64).
- Allah accepts only from those who have piousness (fear Allah in their actions). Abu Ad-Darda (May Allah Be Pleased with him) said: “If I become certain that Allah has accepted even one prayer from me, it will be better for me than this life and all that in it.” This is because Allah says: “Verily, Allah accepts only from those who are Al-Muttaqun.” (Al-Maidah 5:28).
قَالَتْ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِالرَّحْمَٰنِ مِنكَ إِن كُنتَ تَقِيًّا
“She said, “Indeed, I [I] seek refuge with the Most Gracious from you if you are consciously reverent.” (Surah Maryam 19:18)
Taqwa is defined as the concept of protecting oneself from the Hellfire by following the orders of Allah Almighty, by doing what He (SWT) has commanded and by avoiding what He (SWT) has forbidden. Taqwa acts as a barrier between the Muslims and the anger and displeasure of Allah. Allah says:
أَمْ نَجْعَلُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ كَالْمُفْسِدِينَ فِي الْأَرْضِ أَمْ نَجْعَلُ الْمُتَّقِينَ كَالْفُجَّارِ
“Or should We treat those who believe and do righteous deeds like those who spread corruption in the earth? Or should We treat the pious like the wicked?” (Surah Sad 38:28)
We can conclude that if we want to be successful l, and want to get Allah’s blessings and pleasure then we should fear Allah and have to do the righteous deeds which are the source of pleasing Allah Almighty. We pray to Allah SWT to guide us towards the right path and Help us become pious and righteous Muslims. Ameen!