Happiness is a feeling that resides in the heart. It is characterized by peace of mind, tranquillity, a sense of well-being, and a relaxed disposition. It comes as a result of proper behaviour, both inward and outward, and is inspired by strong faith. Money cannot buy happiness. Happiness is a mental state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. Each and every human being instinctively is in pursuit of happiness. Allah says:
الَّذِي خَلَقَ الْمَوْتَ وَالْحَيَاةَ لِيَبْلُوَكُمْ أَيُّكُمْ أَحْسَنُ عَمَلًا وَهُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْغَفُورُ
“It is he who created death and life to test which of you are best indeed, for he is the Almighty, the Forgiving.” (Surah Al-Mulk 67:2)
Humans, today, look for happiness and satisfaction in material things. The Quran is the source of glory and happiness for the Ummah, the basis of knowledge, action, and tranquillity, and the spring of steadfastness at the time of conflicting ideas and changing concepts. It is the fortified dam in facing temptations, allegations, and desires. Allah says:
وَنُنَزِّلُ مِنَ الْقُرْآنِ مَا هُوَ شِفَاءٌ وَرَحْمَةٌ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَلَا يَزِيدُ الظَّالِمِينَ إِلَّا خَسَارًا
“And We send down of the Qur’an that which is healing and mercy for the believers, but it does not increase the wrongdoers except in loss.” (Surah Al-Isra 17:82)
A person who believes in Allah alone will enjoy a tranquil heart, a peaceful soul, and will not be full of worry and anxiety over life. The submission of a believer to Allah gives him the peace of mind that a person needs in order to be industrious.
Here are some “scientifically” proven ways to increase happiness:
- Happiness is to rejoice every single day of our life
- Happiness is to personal history and life status
- Happiness is derived from intentional activity
- Happiness is due to our demographic factors
- Happiness is the key to satisfying your soul
- Happiness is practices that we choose to do
- Happier people tend to have good families
- Happiness comes from a genetic set point
- Happiness is due to our circumstances
- Happiness is from discrete actions
- Happiness is to have a strong will
- Happiness moves you in self-aware
- Happiness is to have self-confidence
- Happiness comes from a genetic set point
- Happiness is a stop caring what people think
- Happiness is a leading factor to direct the life
- Happiness has more to do with the human mind
- Happiness has more to do with the human heart
- Happiness endure all odds that hinder man’s way
- Happiness is instrumental to get rid of the hardships
Happiness is not only intense joy, but it also involves contentment. In the next article, we will examine the role of happiness in Islam and discover that following the commandments of God is the path to righteousness, contentment, and happiness. It is the nature of every person to seek happiness. One of the most elusive objectives of every human being is “Happiness.” Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَاةِ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّابِرِينَ
“O you who believe, seek help through patience and prayer. Verily, Allah is with the patient.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:153)
They help the believer to develop inner strength through the noble qualities of patience and determination, and through trusting in Allah, seeking His assistance, and fearing Him alone. These qualities are some of the most effective ways of realizing the objectives of life, and of bearing life’s trials. Once you find joy and happiness in Islam, your life in this world will become easier. Allah says:
أَلَا بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ الْقُلُوبُ
“No doubt, by the remembrance of Allah’s hearts are assured.” (Surah Al-Rad 13:28)
Feeling good about the future is really important for our happiness. We all need goals to motivate us and these have to be challenging enough to excite us, but also achievable. If we try to attempt the impossible, this creates unnecessary stress. Choosing meaningful but realistic goals gives our lives direction and brings a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when we achieve them.
- Share with others: When we share our thoughts, our time, and our abilities with others we feel better for it. A life lived without sharing can become lonely. When you share with others, they’ll feel great towards you and help you to feel more joy in your own life.
- Be thankful: When you think of all the things that you have to be grateful for, you realize how blessed you already are.
- Smile more: Practice smiling more and see how it affects you internally, as well as those around you.
- Find ways to manage stress: Don’t let stress rob you of your birthright to be happy. You deserve to be happy, and it wouldn’t be right to let stress get in the way
- Keep your emotions in check: Monitor how your emotions control your thinking and behaviour. Feeling anxious feeds doubtful thoughts and impacts your performance negatively unless you actively regulate it.
- Make optimism your best friend: Life is a game, learn to play, accept defeat, and be over the moon when you win.
- Change what is under your control: Remember that you are the protagonist of your own life and no one but you can create the outcomes you seek.
Seek the Pleasure of Allah: Nothing can make us happier than seeking the pleasure of Allāh. Allāh tells us in Qurʾān about what is the greatest happiness, calling it a ‘supreme success’ and about the people who deserve this supreme success.
Allah Almighty says in The Holy Quran:
- “Allah ever watches over you.” (Quran, 4:l)
- “Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest.” (Quran 13:28)
- “And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him.” (Al-Talaq 65:3)
- “Nothing will afflict us save what Allah has ordained for us; He is our Patron; And in Allah let the believers put their trust.” (Quran 9:51)
- “And when your Lord made it known: If you are grateful, I would certainly give you more.” (Quran 14:7)
- “Whoever does good whether male or female and he is a believer, We will most certainly make him live a happy life.” (Quran, 16:97)
Happiness is perhaps the most highly sought after goal in our life. This is the only goal that every one of us strives to achieve throughout life. The goal of happiness, tranquillity, serenity, peace of mind, contentment and freedom from worries and anxiety is what each of us is vicious to achieve. There are different means of attaining happiness, namely religious, natural and practical, but true happiness can only be achieved by combining all of them. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُلُوا مِن طَيِّبَاتِ مَا رَزَقْنَاكُمْ وَاشْكُرُوا لِلَّهِ إِن كُنتُمْ إِيَّاهُ تَعْبُدُونَ
“O you who believe, eat from the wholesome things which We have provided for you and be grateful to Allah if it is Him that you worship.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:172)
The key to being happy in this world and the next is seeking the pleasure of God, and worshipping Him, without associating partners with Him. The key to happiness is acknowledging the power of Allah, accepting His Divine Decree. A seeker of true happiness always depends on his Creator, Almighty God, needing Him for everything: His guidance, sustenance, provisions, and countless physical, spiritual blessings. Allah says:
الَّذِينَ يُنفِقُونَ فِي السَّرَّاءِ وَالضَّرَّاءِ وَالْكَاظِمِينَ الْغَيْظَ وَالْعَافِينَ عَنِ النَّاسِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ يُحِبُّ الْمُحْسِنِينَ
“They are those who spend in charity during ease and hardship and who restrain their anger and pardon the people, for Allah loves the doers of good.” (Surah Al Imran 3:134)
Happiness is defined as good luck, good fortune, prosperity, an agreeable feeling or condition of the soul arising from good fortune or the propitious happening of any kind; the possession of those circumstances or that state of being which is attended enjoyment; the state of being happy. Nothing to beat the joy of giving and helping others. The positive vibrations of the receiver will enrich you, bless you. True happiness is ultimately aimed to bless the individual with a blissful life in the Hereafter.