The Holy Prophet himself was the best example of the good moral character to emulate when he was giving a call to his followers. Before advising them to adopt a moral life by giving sermons and counsels, he was sowing the seeds of morality among his followers by actually living that kind of life. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) is the centre of the characteristics of all Messengers of Almighty Allah. Allah says:
لَّقَدْ كَانَ لَكُمْ فِي رَسُولِ اللَّهِ أُسْوَةٌ حَسَنَةٌ لِّمَن كَانَ يَرْجُو اللَّهَ وَالْيَوْمَ الْآخِرَ وَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ كَثِيرًا
“Certainly, is for you in (the) Messenger (of) Allah an excellent example for (one) who has hope (in) Allah and the Day the Last, and remembers Allah much.” (Surah Al-Ahzab 33:21)
Even today, Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) is considered to be the finest leader with the highest moral values. He was sent to the world with the huge responsibility of spreading Allah’s word and guiding the entire humanity to the right path. It was his upright character and integrated personality which impressed people and helped them see the truth in an era when the world was immersed in the gloom of kufr. Allah says:
قُلْ إِنَّ صَلَاتِي وَنُسُكِي وَمَحْيَايَ وَمَمَاتِي لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ
“Say, “Indeed, my prayer, and my rites of sacrifice, and my living, and my dying (are) for Allah, Lord (of) the worlds.” (Surah Al-An`am 6:162)
The Holy Prophet spent a very simple life. He used to have a single dress to wear, cleaned His clothes and mended His shoes Himself. He always preached to others to avoid going towards materialism by not accumulating any kind of wealth in His entire life. He never ate to fill his stomach, rather he used to fast, and many times He would wrap stones around His belly to avoid having a feeling of hunger. Allah says:
Listed below are a few of his personality traits that all Muslims must know and try to adopt:
- Allah comes first: Prophet Mohammad (P.B.U.H) gave utmost priority to Allah’s orders. He would follow His commands with devotion and love. He endured every hardship with patience because, for him, the duty he was assigned by Allah was greater than his comforts.
- Truthful: Even before the advent of Islam and any revelation, Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) was known as Sadiq (the truthful one) and Ameen (trustworthy). Everyone who knew him could give testimony to his honesty.
- Did as he preached: He was the perfect Muslim. He taught the ways of Islam by following every one of Allah’s orders and then by asking the ummah to follow them. His exemplary personality would impress people into adhering to Islamic teachings.
- Simplicity: Hazrat Muhammad (P.B.U.H) led a simple life. He would do all his chores himself, eat simple food, and live in small houses.
- Generous: He was a generous person and loved helping others.
- Pleasant persona: He was so gentle in his manners and always friendly towards others that people would talk to him easily and respectfully.
- Modest: Allah’s Apostle (P.B.U.H) was modest in his manners and clothing. He strongly opposed vulgarity.
- Patient: Hazrat Muhammad (P.B.U.H) was tested by Allah in various ways but he never complained. He always remained patient when faced with hardships. When he gained power over his enemies, he didn’t take any revenge but forgave them all, presenting the greatest example for the entire humanity.
- Fair and just: He not only advocated justice but carried it out well.
- Spread goodness and forbade evil: Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) practised good deeds and spread it devotedly, and stopped people from evil ones.
- Easy on himself, without transgressing the limits of Allah: Islam doesn’t require one to burden himself.
- Ethical and well-mannered: Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) never had any formal schooling. He had been taught by the Lord of the worlds and, indeed, He knows the best. Muhammad (P.B.U.H)’s mannerisms and ethical values were outstanding and Allah was pleased with them. He says in Qur’an: “And indeed, you are of a great moral character.” (68:4)
- Truthfulness and promise-fulfilling: The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) always spoke the truth in His entire life and always taught others to base their personalities around this act.
- Leading by example: Muhammad (PBUH) did not spread Islam by dictating others, rather he always did His best to serve as a guiding principle to others by acting upon Allah`s teachings Himself first.
- Cooperative: The Prophet (PBUH) always did His work by Himself and helped the family members in the daily work.
- Pleasant appearance: Muhammad (PBUH) had a great personality in terms of physical appearance as well as His conduct.
- Modesty: Muhammad (PBUH) was well known for his humbleness and humility as He never said No to anybody seeking His help. His openness and candidness also played a vital role in spreading Islam as He treated everyone alike regardless of their statuses.
- The epitome of ethics: The Holy Prophet`s (PBUH) whole life is a personification of goodness and morality. He never said any vulgar word in His entire life, even when he was abused and made fun of by the non-believers.
It is not possible to describe the greatness of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) in one attempt, because there is a multitude of characteristics of His personality which make Him a great person. He changed the lives of the illiterate Arabs who were enemies of one another and could not live a day in peace. Allah says:
لَا شَرِيكَ لَهُ وَبِذَٰلِكَ أُمِرْتُ وَأَنَا أَوَّلُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ
“No partners for Him; and with that, I have been commanded. And I am (the) first (of) the ones who surrender.” (Surah Al-An`am 6:163)
The character of Muhammad (PBUH) is not only a huge source of inspiration for Muslims but all human beings. All the societal issues and evils could be eradicated if we all follow His teachings and act like him. Allah says:
قَدْ نَعْلَمُ إِنَّهُ لَيَحْزُنُكَ الَّذِي يَقُولُونَ فَإِنَّهُمْ لَا يُكَذِّبُونَكَ وَلَٰكِنَّ الظَّالِمِينَ بِآيَاتِ اللَّهِ يَجْحَدُونَ
“Indeed, We know that it grieves you what they say. And indeed, they (do) not deny you but the wrongdoers – the Verses of Allah they reject.” (Surah Al-An`am 6:33)
Allah’s last Messenger, Muhammad (P.B.U.H), had the most upright character and a personality like none other. We can never be as perfect as him but we must strive to follow in his footsteps to achieve greater rewards in the hereafter.