Islam is a religion that balances worldly life and the life to come. A man has always been greedy by nature and has wished for more than he should own. No wonder why the world is constantly moving in the direction of increased acquisitiveness. The Religion of Peace greatly emphasizes the importance of adopting moderation in every matter of life. Allah says:
وَمَا الْحَيَاةُ الدُّنْيَا إِلَّا لَعِبٌ وَلَهْوٌ وَلَلدَّارُ الْآخِرَةُ خَيْرٌ لِّلَّذِينَ يَتَّقُونَ أَفَلَا تَعْقِلُونَ
“And not (is) the life (of) the world except a play and amusement; but the home (of) the Hereafter (is) best for those who (are) God-conscious. Then, will you not reason?” (Surah Al-An`am 6:32 )
Islam is so unique in its method for solving the problems of humanity. Islam is the response to humanity’s search for meaning. Allah didn’t create anything without purpose everything is created due to some reason and has some purpose in life. While living, humans are going to be continuously tested through numerous trials and tribulations. Allah says:
الَّذِينَ ضَلَّ سَعْيُهُمْ فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَهُمْ يَحْسَبُونَ أَنَّهُمْ يُحْسِنُونَ صُنْعًا
“Those – is lost their effort in the life (of) the world, while they think that they (were) acquiring good (in) work.” (Surah Al-Kahf 18:104)
Allah is the creator of this world and He set some rules for us whom we have to follow for living our lives peacefully and happily. Muslims should live their lives according to the Islamic way of life. The essence of Islam is the very essence of humanity. Islam is a complete and comprehensive way of life leading to a balanced way of living.
Allah has mentioned very clearly to us, the purpose of our life in this world:
- Life means Muslims should do their pilgrimage at least once
- Life means Muslims knows Islam is a religion for everyone
- Life means you live in commands love, mercy, and peace
- Life means you have the dignity of all human being
- Life means Islam forbids hateful words and actions
- Life means is to believe everything is from God
- Life means is to have kindness to neighbours
- Life means Islam grants women many rights
- Life means is to think you will return to God
- Life means is to have patience & humility
- Life means is to put your trust in God
- Life means has infinite value for all
- Life means is a test given in this world
- Life means is to respect parents and care
- Life means “voluntary submission to God”
- Life means is to give benefit the community
- Life means is to have a variety of experiences
- Life means live with love, grace, and gratitude
- Life means Muslims have tolerance between all
- Life means Muslims should pray five times a day
- Life means is establish peace and justice in society
- Life means to be a healing agent to human suffering
God describes this life as a test, and people are tested in different ways. We cannot control what happens to us, but we can control how we react. Patience during adversities and gratitude for blessings is a means of getting closer to God and attaining eternal Paradise. Allah says:
كَيْفَ تَكْفُرُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَكُنتُمْ أَمْوَاتًا فَأَحْيَاكُمْ ثُمَّ يُمِيتُكُمْ ثُمَّ يُحْيِيكُمْ ثُمَّ إِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ
“How (can) you disbelieve in Allah? While you were dead then He gave you life; then He will cause you to die, then He will give you life, then to Him you will be returned.” (Surah l-Baqarah 2:28)
The purpose of life is to serve others. However, when doing so, you should not expect something in return; your intention should be to lessen other people’s misery. Allah created man to serve Him, meaning that men should believe in the One Lord and do well. This is the main objective of human life.
Purpose of Life According to Islam:
- Believe In God: The first and foremost important thing that can help a believer live life in an Islamic way and achieve success.
- Strive For Good: Being a Muslim it is the primary duty to be good and strives for spreading goodness. Everyone wishes to walk in the way of good and receive guidance from Allah.
- Life is a Test: Allah has made this life a test to see the true nature of His slaves.
- Life is Momentary: The life that is currently lived on this earth will not last forever. It is only a momentary thing.
- Life in Heaven Will be Better: That’s why it’s not good to only care about the materialistic things that exist in this life.
- Dutiful Worship: The purpose of life according to Islam and the Qur’an is for Muslims to always remember Allah. This can be done by carrying out all the dutiful worship.
- Deeply Study Islam: Not only are Muslims required to carry out the necessary duties according to Islam, but they must also study religion as a whole. Islam is better than only understanding it at the surface level.
- Live According to the Rules of Islam: When a Muslim is willing to dedicate oneself to Allah, then they must live according to the rules of Islam.
- Life Motivation: If a Muslim doesn’t know what their life goal is then they could lose the motivation to carry on with life.
- Live Life in Kindness: A Muslim must always remember to be kind while living on Earth. Every living and non-living thing is Allah’s creation and one should try to be kind to them all.
The present society has evolved so drastically around money-oriented expansions that its values and norms of morality have also tarnished. People have almost ceased to differentiate between right and wrong and think of living this life to the fullest in every respect. The Islamic way of life is thus based on a unique concept of man’s place in the universe. We can thus lead to fulfilling lives by bringing more Islam into our lives. Allah says:
مَنْ عَمِلَ صَالِحًا مِّن ذَكَرٍ أَوْ أُنثَىٰ وَهُوَ مُؤْمِنٌ فَلَنُحْيِيَنَّهُ حَيَاةً طَيِّبَةً وَلَنَجْزِيَنَّهُمْ أَجْرَهُم بِأَحْسَنِ مَا كَانُوا يَعْمَلُونَ
“Whoever does righteous deeds whether male or female while he (is) a believer, then surely We will give him l a life good, and We will pay them their reward to (the) best of what they used (to) do.” (Surah An-Nahl 16:97)
To find the purpose of life you’re going to need to do some digging. Allah informed us and clear that when humans will indulge in hatred of each other then they will select hating others as a purpose of their life which will turn them from the true purpose and that is the remembrance of Allah.
Quranic verses about our purpose in life, Allah says in the Holy Quran:
- “And consult them in the matter.” (Quran, 3:159)
- “And the Hereafter is better for you than the first life.” (Ad-Duhaa 93:4)
- “The life of this world is merely the enjoyment of delusion.” (Quran 3:185)
- “I have not created men except that they should serve Me.” (Quran, 51:56)
- “you have that day, nor for you will there be any denial.” (Ash-Shura 42:47)
- “I have created the jinn and humankind only for My worship.” (Quran, 51:56)
- “Did you think that We had created you in play (without any purpose) and that you would not be brought back to Us?” (Quran 23:115)
We believe that there is only One Creator Who created us and we acknowledged Him, we all know that He created us (humankind) to serve Him. Now the question comes to mind that How we can serve Him? There is a reason behind the creation of this world and humankind. Allah says:
ثُمَّ جَعَلْنَاكَ عَلَىٰ شَرِيعَةٍ مِّنَ الْأَمْرِ فَاتَّبِعْهَا وَلَا تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءَ الَّذِينَ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
“Thus, We have ordained a law (shari’a) upon you in the matter, so follow it and do not follow the whims of those who know not.” (Surah Al-Jathiyah 45:18)
But the reality is that the attractions of this life do blind us from seeing the big picture that includes our impending departure from this life and then being resurrected in the next eternal life. Fearing that our means of sustenance in this life are indispensable, we make the mistake of turning means into goals. We run after wealth believing it to buy and secure our present and the future.
The Basic Values of Islam, about the value of “Purpose”:
- Islam is a way of life that transcends race and ethnicity
- Islam’s teaching shows that all innocent life is sacred
- Islam has no schisms between human beings
- Islam establish peace and justice in society
- Islam forbids hateful words and actions
- Islam has the dignity of all human being
- Islam considers all life forms as sacred
- Islam has infinite value for all
- Islam has the sanctity of human life
- Islam commands love, mercy, and peace
- Islam encourages people to be generous
- Islam enjoins upon its believers in purifying
- Islam never spread rumours and do not listen to them
- Islam never let trivialities be the cause of your destruction
- Islam never lose heart by a lack of any other material thing
Islam even honours those who teach people and impart knowledge to them, holding them in high esteem and promising them abundant rewards. Knowing the limited time that we have in this life, giving it anything more than its due proportion, therefore, wouldn’t be prudent. Allah says:
رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِي الْآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ
“Our Lord, give us goodness in this life and goodness in the Hereafter and save us from the punishment of the Hellfire.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:201)
The purpose of life is to live mindfully and passionately in the present moment, to love unabashedly, to be a lifelong learner, to seek adventure and growth, and to spread kindness and peace along the way. We should fulfil this purpose in our life. We must come to know our Creator, Sustainer, and Ultimate Judge.
يَا قَوْمِ إِنَّمَا هَٰذِهِ الْحَيَاةُ الدُّنْيَا مَتَاعٌ وَإِنَّ الْآخِرَةَ هِيَ دَارُ الْقَرَارِ
“O, my people! Only this, the life (of) the world, (is) enjoyment, and indeed, the Hereafter – it (is the) home, (of) settlement.” (SurahGhafir 40:39)
The Holy Quran in this regard is one of the best ways of knowing how a person can fulfil this purpose of pleasing Allah and give meaning to his life. The main reason for our creation is worship. We should fulfil this purpose of our life by following Allah’s commands given in the Quran.