Islam is a religion that organizes all aspects of life on both the individual and national levels. Islam organizes your relations with God, with yourself, with your children, with your relatives, with your neighbour, with your guest, and with other brethren. Islam establishes your duties and rights in all those relationships. Muslims believe that Islam is the ultimate and complete way of life for mankind. Allah says:
وَمَن يَبْتَغِ غَيْرَ الْإِسْلَامِ دِينًا فَلَن يُقْبَلَ مِنْهُ وَهُوَ فِي الْآخِرَةِ مِنَ الْخَاسِرِينَ
“And whoever seeks other than [the] submission/Islam (as) religion then never will be accepted from and he in the Hereafter, (will be) from the losers.” (Surah Al-Imran 3:85)
Islam establishes a clear system of worship, civil rights, laws of marriage and divorce, laws of inheritance, code of behaviour, what not to drink, what to wear, and what not to wear, how to worship God, how to govern, the laws of war and peace, when to go to war, when to make peace, the law of economics, and the laws of buying and selling. Islam is a complete code of life. Allah says:
ثُمَّ آتَيْنَا مُوسَى الْكِتَابَ تَمَامًا عَلَى الَّذِي أَحْسَنَ وَتَفْصِيلًا لِّكُلِّ شَيْءٍ وَهُدًى وَرَحْمَةً لَّعَلَّهُم بِلِقَاءِ رَبِّهِمْ يُؤْمِنُونَ
“Moreover We gave Musa the Book, completing (Our Favor) on the one who did good and an explanation of everything, and a guidance and mercy, so that they may in (the) meeting (with) their Lord believe.” (Surah Al-An`am 6:154)
The essence of Islam is the very essence of humanity. Islam is a complete and comprehensive way of life leading to a balanced way of living. Islamic principles and teachings can provide realistic, fair and objective solutions to the prevention of individual, family, social and international problems that are threatening the existence of human communities throughout the world.
There are some key principles of living life according to Islam:
- Islam is the way of life that is implemented in all circles of life
- Islam solves all familial, social and international problems
- Islamic principles and teachings can provide real life
- Islam however, revealed as a balanced way of living
- Islam is a complete and comprehensive way of life
- Islam teaches us to practice in our daily life
- Islam provides fair and objective solutions
- Islam brings civilization and happiness
- Islam leads to a balanced way of living
- Islam adds beauty to your life
- Islam teaches the pleasure of Allah
- Islam brings trust in Almighty Allah
- Islam holds a woman in high esteem
- Islam avoids comparisons for others
- Islam set life which is free from all evil
- Islam invokes be grateful to all mankind
- Islam accepts personal morality and values
- Islam build meaningful relationships with all
- Islam teaches us true happiness in Islamic life
- Islam find ways to cultivate gratitude on a daily basis
Islam is not practised in the mosque only, it is for daily life, a guide to life in all its aspects: socially, economically, and politically. Islam provides us with guidance about all these things and also many others. Each member of the family has rights and obligations. Islamic code of life teaches us about the fulfilment of their rights and we should fulfil all rights respecting each individual.
The lines mentioned below explain some examples of Islam being a complete Islamic code of life by showing the instructions related to different areas of life:
- How to behave with Non-Muslims: Those who don’t accept Islam and we can say those who are nonbelievers are called Non-Muslims. Allah (SWT) teaches Muslims to treat them kindly and respectfully. Let these people believe what they want to don’t be rude to them. Those who are rude and offensive are disliked by Allah.
- About Forgiveness: Allah loves those who forgive others’ mistakes. We have so many examples of forgiveness from the life of Prophet Muhammad (SAW), He (SAW) always forgave his enemies.
- About Justice with Others: Justice is an important principle of life because when injustice overrule, corruption is the result that can vanish everything. Allah (SWT) advised Muslims to do justice correctly in all aspects of life.
- For Spiritual Life: Islamic code of life tells us about Salah, Fasting, Zakat, Pilgrimage, love for Allah and His Messenger, love for truth and humanity for the sake of Allah, trust in Allah at all times and doing well for the sake of Allah.
- Family Life: Family is a human social group whose members are bound together by the bond of blood ties and/or marital relationships and nothing else. Marriage is a religious duty on all who are capable of meeting their responsibilities.
- Honest Dealing in Trading: Allah Almighty says in Quran:
We should have an altruistic nature always ready to share our warmth and support with others. Islam integrates all domains of human life, just like the different systems in the human body integrate to provide a complete human being. If one system does not work properly, it has got to affect the whole body. Islam proposes systems of laws that integrate all parts of human society to bring happiness and peace to all its members. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ حَقَّ تُقَاتِهِ وَلَا تَمُوتُنَّ إِلَّا وَأَنتُم مُّسْلِمُونَ
“O you who believe[d]! Consciously revere Allah (as is His) right (that) He (should) be revered and (do) not die except [while you] (as) those-who-submit/Muslims.” (Surah Al-Imran 3:102)
Islam is a complete constitution. Thus Islam keeps the Muslim away from confusion because Islam is logical and rational. Allah is one. Allah is one Allah has no sons. Allah is not associated with the Trinity. Allah does not kill to save. No mediation is required between Allah and man. Islam organizes human nature but does not go against it. There is not a class of clergy in Islam; nor is there celibacy. Islam is a complete way of human life.
The reality of life according to the Quran:
- “And consult them in the matter.” (Quran, 3:159)
- “On no soul does Allah place a burden greater than it can bear.” (Quran 2:286)
- “Then do they not reflect upon the Quran? If it had been from [any] other than Allah, they would have found within it much contradiction.” (Quran 4:82)
- “For We had certainly sent unto them a Book based on knowledge, which We explained in detail – a Guide and a Mercy to all who believe.” (Quran 7: 52)
- “And whoever fears Allah – He will make for him a way out. And will provide for him from where he does not expect.” (Surah At-Talaq, verses 2-3)
- “You who believe, be steadfast, more steadfast than others; be ready; always be mindful of God so that you may prosper.” (Quran, 3:200)
- “But We shall be sure to guide to Our ways those who strive hard for Our cause: Allah is with those who do good.”(Quran, 29:69)
- “…Nothing have We omitted from the Book and they [all] shall be gathered to their Rabb in the end.” (Qur’an 6: 38)
- “And if you have a dispute concerning any matter, refer it to Allah and His Messenger.” (Quran 3:31)
Muslims should live their lives according to the Islamic way of life. Family life is the basis of Islamic society. Islam is the way of life that every one of us should implement in our lives and can live a peaceful and happy life according to the key principles of Islam. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ اتَّقُوا رَبَّكُمُ الَّذِي خَلَقَكُم مِّن نَّفْسٍ وَاحِدَةٍ وَخَلَقَ مِنْهَا زَوْجَهَا وَبَثَّ مِنْهُمَا رِجَالًا كَثِيرًا وَنِسَاءً وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ الَّذِي تَسَاءَلُونَ بِهِ وَالْأَرْحَامَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلَيْكُمْ رَقِيبًا
“O mankind, be mindful of your duty to your Lord who created you from a single soul and it created its mate and from the two created many men and women.” (Surah An-Nisa` 4:1)
Islam is not only a spiritual need fulfilled by Muslims in mosques through prayers and supplications. Islam is an all-embracing way of life. It extends over the entire spectrum of life, showing us how to conduct all human activities in a sound and wholesome manner. It does not allow a hierarchy of priests or intermediaries between Allah and human beings, no farfetched abstractions and no complicated rites and rituals. Allah says:
لِّيَغْفِرَ لَكَ اللَّهُ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِن ذَنبِكَ وَمَا تَأَخَّرَ وَيُتِمَّ نِعْمَتَهُ عَلَيْكَ وَيَهْدِيَكَ صِرَاطًا مُّسْتَقِيمًا
“That may forgive for you Allah what preceded of your sins and what will follow and complete His favour upon you and guide you (to) a Path Straight.” (Surah Al-Fath 48:2)
Islam is divine guidance wherein humans of all nations, colours and tongues feel linked to a Supreme Power and Justice. Its teachings are kept intact and authentic. It is the only way to happiness, dignity, and universal peace. Thus, when doing good with others Muslims must remember that the reward comes from Allah and that reward is the only success that a person should desire. Nothing can make us happier than seeking the pleasure of Allah. Whether we are a university, home or on holiday never forget to seek the countenance of Allah.