Taqwa is defined as fearing Allah when a person fears Allah Almighty then he will not commit sins. Taqwa incorporates awareness and fear of Allah as well as piety. Piety is essentially righteousness that can only be obtained through the obedience of the Almighty Allah and abstaining from His prohibitions. We can say that Taqwa is the key to happiness and success in this life and the afterlife. Allah says:
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ لَهُمْ جَنَّاتٌ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ الْفَوْزُ الْكَبِيرُ
“Verily, those who had faith and had done righteous deeds will have gardens beneath which rivers flow. That is a great achievement.” (Surah Al-Buruj 85:11)
Taqwa acts as a channel through which Muslims relate to each other in society and also a way to connect their actions. He, Who pardons our sins each time we pray to Him, indicates His loving nature. The obeying of the great Lord is not confined to only fulfilling religious actions, but being moral in every aspect of life. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا آمِنُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَالْكِتَابِ الَّذِي نَزَّلَ عَلَىٰ رَسُولِهِ وَالْكِتَابِ الَّذِي أَنزَلَ مِن قَبْلُ ۚ وَمَن يَكْفُرْ بِاللَّهِ وَمَلَائِكَتِهِ وَكُتُبِهِ وَرُسُلِهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ ضَلَالًا بَعِيدًا
“O you who believe, have faith in Allah and His messenger and the book that He revealed to His messenger and the scripture which He revealed before. Whoever disbelieves in Allah, His angels, His books, His messengers, and the Last Day has certainly gone far astray.” (Surah An-Nisa 4:136)
Taqwa acts as a barrier between Muslims and the anger and discontent of Allah (SWT). In Hadith Prophet (SAW) said: “Fear Allah because it is the collection of all good.” Muslims need to infuse their hearts with Taqwa if they want to be viewed by Allah as true believers. Taqwa is the key to happiness and success in this life and the hereafter too. Allah says:
وَهَٰذَا كِتَابٌ أَنزَلْنَاهُ مُبَارَكٌ فَاتَّبِعُوهُ وَاتَّقُوا لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ
“And this (is) a Book We have revealed it – blessed, so follow it and consciously revere (Allah) so that you may receive mercy.” (Surah Al-An`am 6:155)
Taqwa acts as a channel through which Muslims relate to one another in society and also a medium to link their actions. Calmness and tranquillity are sought after states in the daily rat-race of life. These are bounties from Allah which are specifically focused on the hearts of the true believers. The Quran says:
الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَتَطْمَئِنُّ قُلُوبُهُم بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ أَلَا بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ الْقُلُوبُ
“Those who believed and find satisfaction their hearts in the remembrance (of) Allah. No doubt, in the remembrance of Allah find satisfaction the hearts.” (Surah Ar-Ra’d 13:28)
People seek solace in material items, sports, relationships and some even seek it in sin and vice, whereas the true solace that the heart craves can only be acquired from the creator of the heart himself. When a servant attaches his heart, actions, longings, and aspirations to Allah, Almighty Allah sees to his affairs and keeps him in a state of peace which even those with abundant worldly wealth envy. Allah says:
ثُمَّ نُنَجِّي الَّذِينَ اتَّقَوا وَّنَذَرُ الظَّالِمِينَ فِيهَا جِثِيًّا
“Then We will deliver those who consciously revered (Allah), and We will leave the wrongdoers therein bent (on) knees.” (Surah Maryam, 19:72)
There are several ways to gain taqwa, through fear and love, including the following:
- Ascribe all material and spiritual accomplishments to Allah
- Be alert to whatever may divert you from Allah
- Reminding Yourself of Allah`s Presence
- Souvenir Death and Day of Judgment
- Reciting and Understanding Quran
- Renew the fountains of your iman
- Being Patient in Adversity
- Unexpected sustenance
- Learn More About Allah
- The salvation of the Fire
- A way out of problems and difficulties
- Ability to distinguish truth from falsehood
- Long for Allah’s pleasure and satisfaction in all affairs
- Never consider yourself higher or better than anyone else
- Calmness and tranquillity are sought after states in the daily life
Be pious and receive rewards from Allah. Ability to distinguish truth from lies: When a believer ensures that his obedience to Allah and his love remains above all, he is gifted by Allah to distinguish between true and false or we can say good or bad. bad actions.
Benefits of Taqwa from Quran:
- Guidance: There is a guide for those who are Muttaqin (the people of taqwa) as Allah says in the Quran: “guidance for those conscious of Allah.” (Quran, 2:2). People who fear Almighty Allah will seek guidance from the Holy Book Quran.
- Ease of Matters: In the Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says: “And whoever fears Allah, He will make for his ease in his matter.” (Quran, 65:4). Whoever has Taqwa, Allah makes matters easy for him in this world as well as the hereafter. This does not necessarily mean that the person will not face difficulty, but through the blessings of his Taqwa, he is guaranteed ease and the strength to bear these difficulties without losing faith or hope by Almighty Allah. The reward of facing these difficulties will be given by Allah in the hereafter.
- Allah’s love for Muttaqin: In the holy Quran Allah Almighty stated: “Truly Allah loves the Muttaqin.“ (Quran, 3:76). From this verse, we can conclude that Allah loves those who are piety that is who does righteous deeds. Taqwa is the source of gaining Allah’s love and blessings.
- A way out of Difficulties: Allah says in the Holy Quran about those who are facing problems in a verse that: “And whoever fears Allah, He will make for him a way out.” (Quran, 65:2). People who are facing difficulties but remain steadfast in their faith for the sake of Allah then He (SWT) will surely make a way for them to get rid of these problems. Taqwa serves as a divine guard against trials of this world as well as the difficulties of the hereafter.
- Acceptance of Actions: Allah says in the Quran about the acceptance of actions or deeds in these words: “Allah only accepts from the people of taqwa.“ (Quran, 5:27). People who are Muttaqin Allah loves them and accept their actions and deeds.
- Unexpected Sustenance: Almighty Allah is the creator and sustainer of the universe. Whatever a person requires and desires of sustenance can be found in His vast treasures. In the Holy Quran Allah says: “Have taqwa of Allah for you to succeed.” (Quran, 3: 200)
- Salvation from the Fire: Allah says: “Then We will save the ones who had taqwa.“ (Quran, 19:72). Allah will save the Muttaqin from hellfire so try to do righteous deeds. Be piety and get rewards from Allah Almighty.
- Ability to distinguish truth from falsehood: When a believer sees to it that his obedience to Allah and love for him stay above everything else, he is gifted by Allah with the sight of distinguishing between true and false or we can say good or bad deeds. In the Holy Quran Allah says: “It is He (Allah) who has brought tranquillity into the hearts of believers.” (Quran, 48: 4)
- Success from Taqwa: Allah Almighty says in the Holy Quran: “Have taqwa of Allah so that you might succeed.” (Quran, 3:200). Anyone who wants to get succeed in this life and the hereafter has to do righteous deeds for the pleasure of Almighty Allah. Taqwa is also to do righteous deeds for fear of Allah Almighty.
- TTranquillity Allah says in the Holy Quran: “It is He (Allah) who sent down tranquillity into the hearts of the believers.” (Quran, 48:4). People who want calmness and tranquillity should do taqwa which means fear of Allah Almighty as a result they became piety. When they become piety they feel calmness and tranquillity in their hearts as Allah mentioned in the Quran.
هَٰذَا بَيَانٌ لِّلنَّاسِ وَهُدًى وَمَوْعِظَةٌ لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ
“This (is) a declaration for the people and guidance and admonition for the God-fearing.” (Surah Al-Imran 3:138)
Often we label individuals ‘super-religious and ‘over pious when they try and uphold even simple injunctions of faith. A person who has Taqwa strives to do the things that Allah has commanded and avoids things that Allah has prohibited. The under strengthening factor of Taqwa is love and recognition of Almighty Allah which is a favourable state that a believer has to constantly nurture in his heart. Allah says:
وَاخْتِلَافِ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ وَمَا أَنزَلَ اللَّهُ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ مِن رِّزْقٍ فَأَحْيَا بِهِ الْأَرْضَ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهَا وَتَصْرِيفِ الرِّيَاحِ آيَاتٌ لِّقَوْمٍ يَعْقِلُونَ
In the changing of night and day and in what Allah sends down from the sky of provision and gives life thereby to the earth after its lifelessness and in His directing the winds are signs for people who reason.” (Surah Al-Jathiya 45:5)
The affairs of a Muslim have been so beautifully guided by Islam. For us, everything we do can be an act of worship that will be rewarded. The major clause is that these actions should be done with sincere intentions and that we should have the taqwa of Allah when we are doing them. We have fear and consciousness of Allah.