The word “Muslim” means one who submits to the will of God, regardless of their race, nationality or ethnic background. Becoming a Muslim is a simple and easy process that requires no pre-requisites. All the messengers of Allah told their people none has the right to be worshipped except Allah. Allah says:
وَمَا أَرْسَلْنَا مِن قَبْلِكَ مِن رَّسُولٍ إِلَّا نُوحِي إِلَيْهِ أَنَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنَا فَاعْبُدُونِ
“We did not send any Messenger before you, except that We revealed to him that none has the right to be worshipped except Me; so worship Me.” (Surah Al-Anbiyaa 21:25)
If anyone has a real desire to be a Muslim and has full conviction and a strong belief that Islam is the true religion of God, then, all one needs to do is pronounce the “Shahada”, the testimony of faith, without further delay. The “Shahada” is the first and most important of the five pillars of Islam. With the pronunciation of this testimony, with sincere belief and conviction, one enters the fold of Islam. Allah says:
يُنَزِّلُ الْمَلَائِكَةَ بِالرُّوحِ مِنْ أَمْرِهِ عَلَىٰ مَن يَشَاءُ مِنْ عِبَادِهِ أَنْ أَنذِرُوا أَنَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنَا فَاتَّقُونِ
“He sends down the angels with the revelation of His commands to whosoever of His slaves that He wills, saying: Warn mankind that none has the right to be worshipped except Me. So fear Me [by keeping away from sin and disobedience].” (Surah An-Nahl 16:2)
THE TESTIMONY OF FAITH
In English: I bear witness that no one deserves to be worshipped except Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of ALLAH.
أشهدُ أنْ لا إلهَ إلاَّ اللهُ وأشهدُ أنَّ محمّداً رسولُ الله
(ASHHADU ALLA ILAHA ILLALLAH, WA ASHHADU ANNA MUHAMMAD AR RASULULLAHuhammad)
It is [a kalimah] that Allah Himself has testified to, as have the angels and those who possess knowledge from amongst His creation. It is a concise declaration that contains few letters; the light upon the tongue, yet heavy in the scales. Allah says:
شَهِدَ اللَّهُ أَنَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ وَالْمَلَائِكَةُ وَأُولُو الْعِلْمِ قَائِمًا بِالْقِسْطِ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ
“Allah bears witness that none has the right to be worshipped except Him; as do the angels and those who possess knowledge. He maintains His creation upon justice. None has the right to be worshipped except Him, the All-Mighty, All-Wise.” (Surah Al-Imraan 3:18)
Some people are worried often worried if they will be allowed to become Muslim due to a variety of reasons. So before proceeding onto how to convert to Islam. I wish to reassure you that anyone can become a Muslim. Islam is for the whole of humanity. Islam unites together people of different colours, languages, races. and nationalities into one brotherhood. Allah says:
إِنَّمَا الْمُؤْمِنُونَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ ثُمَّ لَمْ يَرْتَابُوا وَجَاهَدُوا بِأَمْوَالِهِمْ وَأَنفُسِهِمْ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ أُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الصَّادِقُونَ
“Only the believers (are) those who believe in Allah and His Messenger, then (do) not doubt but strive with their wealth and their lives in (the) way (of) Allah. Those [they] (are) the truthful.” (Surah Al-Hujurat 49:15).
Why should someone be a Muslim? Can’t we follow any religion we please?
Islam has several unique features which can be confirmed through deeper study. Islam is the only religion whose sources have remained free of human alteration and interference. Its divinely revealed scripture is in harmony with facts of science, clearly bearing the signature of the Creator of this universe.
How is Islam different from other religions?
- Islam provides answers to the essential fundamental questions which occur to the mind of every intelligent person, those related to the purpose of creation and life, and concerning a further existence after death.
- Islam is the only religion that insists upon the worship of the Creator alone and completely rejects the worship of any aspect of creation.
- Islam dispenses with all intermediaries between man and God and allows every individual to contact Him directly.
- Thus eliminating religious hierarchies and other sources of exploitation that have characterized the history of religions throughout the ages.
- In Islam, no cleric or establishment can come between a person and his Creator.
- While monotheistic faiths share a fundamental belief in God, their understanding of Him differs greatly.
- Islam declares that God is unique and in no way similar to any of His creations; nor does He merge with it in any form. His attributes are those of complete and absolute perfection without the slightest deficiency or limitation.
- Unlike other religions and ideologies which emphasize some aspects of human nature at the expense of others.
- Islam accommodates the physical, intellectual and spiritual aspects of man.
- Islamic beliefs and practices are natural and appeal to common sense.
- They present a balanced program of life that fulfils both physical and spiritual needs.
- Islam prohibits blind following without knowledge and is based upon evidence and logic.
- The rational mind is the basis for religious accountability and responsibility.
- All aspects of Islamic belief are clear, without any obscurity or ambiguity.
- It contains no tenet that contradicts reason or observable reality, and it calls on people to study and contemplate as a means of strengthening faith.
- Islam’s religious, moral, economic, political and social ethics are permanent and remain constant.
- They are governed by a set of unchanging principles that include such universal values as justice, freedom, equality, brotherhood, and social responsibility.
- History provides an outstanding example in the model of Islamic society established by Prophet Muhammad and his companions and maintained.
- For decades by devoted Muslims, where truth and transparency, justice, and compassion were implemented as a vital expression of the religion.
وَمَا أُمِرُوا إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ مُخْلِصِينَ لَهُ الدِّينَ حُنَفَاءَ وَيُقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَيُؤْتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَذَٰلِكَ دِينُ الْقَيِّمَةِ
“And not they were commanded except to worship Allah (being) sincere to Him (in) the religion, upright, and to establish the prayer, and to give the zakah And that (is the) religion the correct.” (Surah Al-Bayyinah 98:5).
Islam also declares that it is the religion of truth, for this is stated unambiguously in the Quran. However, the Creator does not force His preference for anyone. He wants people to accept the right guidance by their own choice and free will because that is what makes them worthy of His approval and reward. Allah says:
لَا إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ قَد تَّبَيَّنَ الرُّشْدُ مِنَ الْغَيِّ فَمَن يَكْفُرْ بِالطَّاغُوتِ وَيُؤْمِن بِاللَّهِ فَقَدِ اسْتَمْسَكَ بِالْعُرْوَةِ الْوُثْقَىٰ لَا انفِصَامَ لَهَا وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ
“(There is) no compulsion in the religion. Surely has become distinct the right (path) from the wrong. Then whoever disbelieves in false deities and believes in Allah, surely he grasped the handhold – [the] firm, (which) not (will) break [for it]. And Allah (is) All-Hearing, All-Knowing.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:256)
So you will be our brother or sisters in Islam when you convert to Islam. Any human being can embrace Islam. You do not need anyone’s permission to become Muslim. You can be any colour, race, age, speak any language and still become a Muslim. There are many American, British, European, Indian, children and Adults, who accept Islam every day. Allah says:
إِنَّمَا الْمُؤْمِنُونَ إِخْوَةٌ فَأَصْلِحُوا بَيْنَ أَخَوَيْكُمْ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ
“Only the believers (are) brothers, so make peace between your brothers, you consciously revere (Allah) and fear Allah so that you may receive mercy.” (Surah Al-Hujurat 49:10)
You may hear from some Muslims incorrect advice due to their lack of knowledge of Islam or due to a lack of correct knowledge of Islam. You do not need to do a course or obtain a certificate to become a Muslim. Someone may say you have to do a course or obtain a certificate to be a Muslim. This is incorrect. You do not need to attend a course or obtain a certificate to become a Muslim. You should not delay in becoming a Muslim. Allah says:
ذَٰلِكَ بِأَنَّ اللَّهَ هُوَ الْحَقُّ وَأَنَّ مَا يَدْعُونَ مِن دُونِهِ هُوَ الْبَاطِلُ وَأَنَّ اللَّهَ هُوَ الْعَلِيُّ الْكَبِيرُ
“That is because Allah is the true Deity to be worshipped, and whatever else they invoke besides Him is a vain falsehood.” (Surah al-Hajj 22:62)
If someone advises you to delay your conversion to Islam. This is also incorrect. If you believe Islam is the truth then you should not delay your conversion to Islam. You should revert immediately because we are given a certain lifespan. Since we do not know when we are going to die. Not even a minute should be lost as your time to leave this life may be up the next minute.