The purpose of life is to live and let live. The societal living is possible when there are communal harmony and feeling of brotherhood among its members. Peaceful coexistence is the key to a successful life. A true Muslim believes in this fact and knows about the momentary nature of worldly life. A good act for a believer will remain good even if it brings no personal benefit in this world. Allah says:
يُخْرِجُ الْحَيَّ مِنَ الْمَيِّتِ وَيُخْرِجُ الْمَيِّتَ مِنَ الْحَيِّ وَيُحْيِي الْأَرْضَ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهَا وَكَذَٰلِكَ تُخْرَجُونَ
“He brings forth the living from the dead and He brings forth the dead from the living, and He gives life (to) the earth after its death, and thus you will be brought forth.” (Surah Ar-Rum 30:19)
In Islam, man’s entire individual and social life is an exercise in developing and strengthening his relationship with Allah. This world is one big attraction, making those who in reality are meagre and full of weakness look strong and mighty, making those who are ignorant seem intelligent, and portraying those who have been misguided and enslaved to their desires as being the most guided of people. Allah says:
وَمَا هَٰذِهِ الْحَيَاةُ الدُّنْيَا إِلَّا لَهْوٌ وَلَعِبٌ ۚ وَإِنَّ الدَّارَ الْآخِرَةَ لَهِيَ الْحَيَوَانُ ۚ لَوْ كَانُوا يَعْلَمُونَ
“This worldly life is nothing but diversion and amusement. Verily, the home of the Hereafter is the true-life if only they knew.” (Surah Al-Ankabut 29:64)
God describes this life as a test, and people are tested in different ways. We cannot control what happens to us, but we can control how we react. Patience during adversities and gratitude for blessings is a means of getting closer to God and attaining eternal Paradise. We should fulfil this purpose in our life.
There are some key principles of living life according to Islam:
- Islam is a way of life that transcends race and ethnicity
- Islam’s teaching shows that all innocent life is sacred
- Islam however, revealed as a balanced way of living
- Islam is a complete and comprehensive way of life
- Islam has no schisms between human beings
- Islam enjoins upon its believers in purifying
- Islam forbids to hateful words and actions
- Islam encourages people to be generous
- Islam commands love, mercy, and peace
- Islam considers all life forms as sacred
- Islam brings trust on Almighty Allah
- Islam holds a woman in high esteem
- Islam has the infinite value for all
- Islam has the sanctity of human life
- Always be grateful that you have less
- Islam leads to a balanced way of living
- Islam brings civilization and happiness
- Islam has the dignity of all human being
- All happens, occurs with the divine decree
- Islam teaches us to practice in our daily life
- Islam establish peace and justice in society
- Never spread rumours and do not listen to them
- Never let trivialities be the cause of your destruction
- Never lose heart by a lack of any other material thing
- Allah the Exalted created humanity to carry His trusts
Islam is a religion which balances the worldly life and the life to come. A man has always been greedy by nature and has wished for more than it should own. No wonder why the world is constantly moving in the direction of increased acquisitiveness. The Religion of Peace greatly emphasizes the importance of adopting moderation in every matter of life. Allah says:
يَوْمَ تَجِدُ كُلُّ نَفْسٍ مَا عَمِلَتْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ مُحْضَرًا وَمَا عَمِلَتْ مِنْ سُوءٍ
“The day will surely come when each soul will be confronted with whatever good or evil it has done. As for its evil deeds. it will wish they were a long way off.” (Surah Al ‘Imran 3:30)
Islam is so unique in its method for solving the problems of humanity. Islam is the response to humanity’s search for meaning. Allah didn’t create anything without purpose everything is created due to some reason and has some purpose in life. While living, humans are going to be continuously tested through numerous trials and tribulations.
Purpose of Life According to Islam
- Believe In God: The first and foremost important thing that can help a believer live life in an Islamic way and achieving success.
- Strive For Good: Being a Muslim it is the primary duty to be good and strives for spreading goodness. Everyone wishes to walk in the way of good and receive guidance from Allah.
- Life is a Test: Allah has made this life as a test to see the true nature of His slaves.
- Life is Momentary: The life that is currently lived on this earth will not last forever. It is only a momentary thing.
- Life in Heaven Will be Better: That’s why it’s not good to only care about the materialistic things that exist in this life.
- Dutiful Worship: Purpose of life according to Islam and the Qur’an is for Muslims to always remember Allah. This can be done by carrying out all the dutiful worship.
- Deeply Study Islam: Not only are Muslims required to carry out the necessary duties according to Islam, but they must also study religion as a whole. Islam is better than only understanding it at surface level.
- Live According to the Rules of Islam: When a Muslim is willing to dedicate oneself to Allah, then they must live according to the rules of Islam.
- Life Motivation: If a Muslim doesn’t know what their life goal is then they could lose the motivation to carry on with life.
- Live Life in Kindness: A Muslim must always remember to be kind while living on Earth. Every living and non-living thing is Allah’s creations and one should try to be kind to them all.
وَاللَّهُ الَّذِي أَرْسَلَ الرِّيَاحَ فَتُثِيرُ سَحَابًا فَسُقْنَاهُ إِلَىٰ بَلَدٍ مَيِّتٍ فَأَحْيَيْنَا بِهِ الْأَرْضَ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهَا ۚ كَذَٰلِكَ النُّشُورُ
“God sends forth the winds which set the clouds in motion. We drive them on to some dead land and give fresh life to its barren soil. Such is the resurrection.”(Surah Fatir 35:9)
Allah is the creator of this world and He set some rules for us whom we have to follow for living our lives peacefully and happily. Muslims should live their lives according to the Islamic way of life. The essence of Islam is the very essence of humanity. Islam is a complete and comprehensive way of life leading to a balanced way of living. Allah says:
ثُمَّ جَعَلْنَاكَ عَلَىٰ شَرِيعَةٍ مِّنَ الْأَمْرِ فَاتَّبِعْهَا وَلَا تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءَ الَّذِينَ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
“Thus, We have ordained a law (shari’a) upon you in the matter, so follow it and do not follow the whims of those who know not.” (Surah Al-Jathiyah 45:18)
The Islamic way of life is thus based on a unique concept of man’s place in the universe. Islam is divine guidance wherein humans of all nations, colours and tongues feel linked to a Supreme Power and Justice. Its teachings are kept intact and authentic. It is the only way to happiness, dignity, and universal peace.
Quranic verses about our purpose in life, Allah says in the Holy Quran:
- “And consult them in the matter.” (Quran, 3:159)
- “And the Hereafter is better for you than the first life.” (Ad-Duhaa 93:4)
- “The life of this world is merely the enjoyment of delusion.” (Quran 3:185)
- “I have not created men except that they should serve Me.” (Quran, 51:56)
- “you have that day, nor for you will there be any denial.” (Ash-Shura 42:47)
- “For them will be a home of peace in the presence of their Lord: He will be their friend because they practised (righteousness).” (Surah Al-Anam, 127)
- “O, my people! this life of the world is only a (passing) enjoyment, and surely the hereafter is the abode to settle.” (Al-Mu’Min 40:39)
- “He who created death and life to test you as to which of you is best in deed-and He is the Almighty, the Oft-Forgiving.” (Al-Mulk 67:2)
Therefore, one must try to do good to others and make their life easier, as the reward of it comes from Allah Almighty and is an equivalent reward to the deed if not greater. Muslims need to differentiate between right and wrong and stand for the right and forbid the wrong to achieve success in the true sense. Allah says:
إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَأْمُرُ بِالْعَدْلِ وَالْإِحْسَانِ وَإِيتَاءِ ذِي الْقُرْبَىٰ وَيَنْهَىٰ عَنِ الْفَحْشَاءِ وَالْمُنكَرِ وَالْبَغْيِ يَعِظُكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَذَكَّرُونَ
“Verily, Allah orders justice and benevolence and giving to relatives and He forbids immorality and bad conduct and transgression. He admonishes you that perhaps you will be reminded.” (Surat Al-Nahl 16:90)
God created people and made them responsible for their actions. In this world, we notice that the virtuous often live in a wretched state while the wicked often seem to have the good things in life. God is the Most Just; He will establish justice among all His creatures and no one can escape from God. Thus, to achieve success on Islamic principles, a believer needs to refrain from bad and commit to doing good no matter whatever the circumstances are. Allah says:
رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِي الْآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ
“Our Lord, give us goodness in this life and goodness in the Hereafter and save us from the punishment of the Hellfire.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:201)
Islam is the complete code of life and it gives details and mentions about every aspect of life. On the Day of Judgment, the entire record of people from the age of puberty will be presented before God. God will weigh everyone’s good and bad deeds according to His Mercy and His Justice. We thankful to Allah for His blessings and show gratitude to people as well for what we get from them, earn our livelihood through lawful means, and so on.