It’s commonly believed that an eye for an eye is the best policy—stand your ground, hold your own, fight back. Being assertive or speaking your opinion does not have to equate to being mean; there are ways to stand up for yourself while remaining polite, compassionate, and thoughtful. Sometimes the best way to give someone what they deserve is to give them the exact opposite: fight all your battles with kindness.
- Kindness, though typically considered to be a weakness, is actually a strength
- Maybe the person to whom you’re speaking simply needs kindness to make their day better
- Everyone has their own demons and is fighting their own fight
- It will make others happy and it will make you happy
- Being mean doesn’t solve anything
- The perpetuation of anger is everlasting
- The way you act is a reflection on yourself
- It’s the right thing to do
So being nice can’t hurt either. Even if nothing is solved, at least you know you didn’t make it worse.